As a global leader in healthcare, Roche Diagnostics offers a broad portfolio of products, tools and services that help in the prevention, diagnosis and management of diseases like HPV, HIV, hepatitis and diabetes as well as other medical conditions, such as fertility and blood coagulation. These products and services are used by researchers, physicians, patients, hospitals and laboratories worldwide to help improve people's lives.
We are seeking a talented and motivated Senior Bioinformatics Scientist, who will be an integral member of the Sequencing team contributing to the support and development of ground-breaking next-generation sequencing (NGS) products. As a member of Roche’s Sequencing and Life Science (SLS), Scientific Support and Applications team you will apply your expertise in NGS data analysis to support on-market products and perform primary- & secondary-level troubleshooting and Support requests for internal and external customers. You will also serve as a functional expert and support to field application scientists in pre-sales and customer engaging activities proving the necessary technical support in identifying & selecting the best solution that fulfills the customer needs.
To be successful and thrive in this role you will have the ability to work in a fast-paced team environment, interacting with bioinformaticians, laboratory personnel, field application scientists and IT staff committed to providing outstanding customer service.
Primary duties involve:
- Leading bioinformatics activities for internal applications projects, including consulting during experimental design and working closely with experimental researchers to generate/provide analysis reports, project reports and perform requested custom analyses to ensure that project goals are met within specified timelines.
- Serving as a functional expert to the technical support team, assisting in investigating and troubleshooting key account customer issues, ensuring that data is received and processed in a systematic, replicable, traceable and timely manner, as well as communicating results to the customer.
- Serving as a functional expert in pre-sales and customer engaging activities proving the necessary technical support in identifying & selecting the best solution that fulfills the customer needs.
- Expanding existing and developing new in-house bioinformatics capacity, including the creation, maintenance and utilization of data analysis and visualization pipelines.
- Ensuring that processed data is made available to internal and external customers in a clear, concise and informative format.
- Staying current on emerging NGS platforms and applications, along with associated data types and analysis paradigms.
200 Ballardvale Street, Suite 250
Wilmington, MA 01887
Education & years of experience
- PhD in a relevant subject (Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Computational Biology, or a closely related subject) with 3 years of related experience OR Masters degree in a relevant subject (Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Computational Biology, or a closely related subject) with 8 years of related experience.
- Proven hands-on experience designing, developing, documenting and/or deploying bioinformatics pipeline solutions for NGS applications such as whole exome sequencing (WES), RNA-Seq, ChIP-Seq, Methyl-Seq/Bis-Seq, whole genome sequencing (WGS).
- Proven strong communication skills or customer support experience in highly technical fields like Bioinformatics, Genomics, Biotechnology or in a closely related subject.
- Demonstrated basic knowledge of statistical/computational methods to solve challenges in like Bioinformatics, Genomics, Biotechnology or in a closely related subject.
- Demonstrated experience in one or more scripting/programming languages, such as: Python, Jupyter notebooks, R, R markdowns, Bash, C/C#/C++.
- Familiarity with distributed version control systems, such as git.
- Familiarity with relational databases, such as PostgreSQL.
At Roche, 100,000 people across 100 countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. Working together, we’ve become one of the world’s leading research-focused healthcare groups. Our success is built on innovation, curiosity and diversity.