The position involves taking a lead role in all current genetic technologies, data mining/bioinformatics, experimental design, methods design, and training other staff to use standard and new genetics technologies as required. The position manages all scientific and technical aspects of projects and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in the laboratory including project workflows, equipment, consumables and quality assurance to ensure projects are executed in a timely manner and to the highest possible quality standards. The position reports in to the Chief Executive Officer.
Experienced Vice President of Laboratory Operations accountable for all aspects of AKESOgen’s Laboratories.
Principal Duties, Responsibilities and Competencies:
- Detailed knowledge and extensive experience in an automated laboratory environment primarily focused on genotyping and next generation sequencing (NGS). The work-flows and technologies include DNA/RNA extraction, genotyping, capillary sequencing and NGS, expression and methylation profiling, some proteomics (ELISAs) and biobanking and sample management.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and proactively performing a wide range of highly technical and complex research and laboratory tests and procedures.
- Formally manage/supervise laboratory staff including four laboratory managers.
- Interfaces appropriately with other units including Project Management, Compliance, IT and Business Development groups.
- Provides appropriate input into management, HR and other key meetings.
- Designs, analyzes and interprets the results of studies including knowledge of bioinformatics.
- Responsible for reporting out results to clients in a timely manner.
- Investigates and recommends alternative approaches to improve the quality of results in the laboratory as necessary.
- Manages project related information systems and databases and has experience with laboratory information management systems (LIMS).
- Implements new approaches and techniques into laboratory protocols when required.
- Familiarity with clinical certification and knowledge of laboratory CLIA/CAP and GxP requirements
- Accountable for current and revised SOPs and proactively developing new SOPs when appropriate.
- Responsible for keeping an inventory of laboratory consumables and interacting with vendors to obtain competitive pricing on consumables.
- Holds laboratory or other project meetings on a regular basis.
- Takes Site responsibility when Chief Executive Officer is not present.
- Responsible for safety in the laboratories.
- Demonstrates a high level of ethics in all aspects of professional practice.
- Prepares budgets, quotations and invoices when required.
The position requires the candidate to be exceptionally organized alongside first class technical ability and have experience working with a team in a high throughput environment. Working to tight deadlines, flexibility in approach, exceptional communication skills and attention to detail are absolutely essential.
Expected to perform related responsibilities as required by the Chief Executive Officer.