Transaction Associate – Technology Transfer and Legal Department
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL), located on the North Shore of Long Island, is seeking an attorney to fill the position of Transactions Associate in our Technology Transfer and Legal departments. The Transactions Associate will report to the General Counsel and Chief Patent Counsel and will have responsibilities including contract drafting and support, post deal management, sponsored programs support, assessment of consulting and visiting scientist arrangements, and patent strategy and management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Contract drafting and support. Draft and negotiate licenses, option agreements, industry-sponsored research agreements, MTAs, CDAs, Inter-institutional agreements and other IP-related agreements.
• Post deal management. Maintain and manage existing IP-related agreements and relations with third parties, including ensuring compliance with diligence terms and payment obligations and monitoring progress in product development.
• Sponsored Programs support. Review grant and foundation agreements received from Office of Sponsored Programs; track license, royalty and patent prosecution-related obligations under these agreements to ensure CSHL meets its obligations and does not enter into conflicting agreements.
• Consulting and Visiting Scientist obligations. Review researcher consulting agreements to ensure they comply with CSHL’s standard provisions (e.g., IP ownership). Coordinate with Human Resources Department regarding agreements and other documentation for academic and industry scientists temporarily conducting research at CSHL (Visiting Scientists).
• Patentability and patent strategy. Evaluate and analyze new invention disclosures (initial review; prior art search; meet with inventor(s); collect and evaluate information from industry reviewers; coordinate with Chief Patent Counsel regarding patent prosecution strategy).
• Patent management. Patent related activities including assistance in selection of outside patent counsel, decisions regarding when and where to file patent applications, managing relationships with outside patent counsel, managing inventory of unlicensed cases from a financial perspective, and maintaining records in CSHL database for US and foreign patent filings.