We are seeking to recruit a senior text and data mining specialist to join the Literature Services Team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located on the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
Manual curation by expert biologists is a critical approach to developing quality public data resources in the life sciences. As the team at the EBI responsible for running Europe PMC (the database of research articles incorporating both PubMed and PMC; http://europepmc.org), our goal is to integrate the open research literature with public data resources, supporting better search technologies, browse experiences, and database curation workflows. Based on Europe PMC content, we: (1) enable the text mining community to extract named entities, relationships, or events extracted from the content and highlight these on article; (2) text mine content daily to extract entities such as genes/proteins, organism names, chemicals, Gene Ontology terms, diseases, and data citations; (3) participate in a variety of projects that address supporting curator workflows through text and data mining.
Specific job responsibilities include:
- Lead the development new text mining services;
- Improve existing core text mining services;
- Data analysis and evaluation of extraction results;
- Iterative improvement of solutions, with key stakeholders;
- Participation in project meetings and conferences to present work;
- Produce publications on developments.