Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutch our interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists and humanitarians, including three Nobel laureates, work together to eliminate cancer, HIV/AIDS, and other life-threatening diseases. We bring a relentless pursuit of and passion for the advancement of disease treatments and the betterment of human life globally. We are an independent, non-profit life sciences research center comprised of distinguished researchers, corporate and program staff across a wide range of scientific and operations areas. If you're ready to make a difference, let's change the world together. Join us. Careers Start Here.
Fred Hutch is committed to generating new scientific discoveries and translating them into effective medical practices, therapies and public health approaches. The Hutch partners with other research entities and medical institutions to assure worldwide access to new research findings and technical developments.
Our Office of Business Development and Industry Relations (BDIR) is a world leader in the commercialization of oncologic innovations by increasing the speed and scale with which we bring our specialized knowledge and technology to commercial markets. We create and partner with companies to develop our scientific discoveries into practices and therapies that will eliminate cancer and related diseases.
The Technology Management Team is responsible for the entire portfolio of disclosures and patents at Fred Hutch. We are responsible for license and other contract negotiations, and act as the lead for disclosure intake, assessments, patenting and discussion with the Partnership and Alliance Team to determine the technologies most appropriate for partnering.
Reporting to the Director of Technology Management, the Technology Manager is responsible for managing intellectual property generated at Fred Hutch. This includes proactive outreach to faculty, disclosure identification and evaluation, patent strategy, and working with others within the Office of Business Development and Industry Relations, licensing and commercializing Fred Hutch technologies. Additional responsibilities include:
Interact with Investigators
- Regularly attend seminars, programs and meet with investigators in assigned divisions to stay abreast of their research.
- Work with investigators to educate investigators about the commercialization of research.
- Using a formalized assessment process, determine when research / discoveries / technologies should be protected and marketed or determine when pieces of an investigator's research can be developed into a commercializable product.
- Provide educational seminars and guidance; help the investigator understand the process and the value of technology commercialization.
- Provide support in all aspects of technology transfer to all Fred Hutch employees. Identify new technologies and fill the Fred Hutch technology disclosure pieline.
- Evaluate disclosed technologies for patenting and commercialization potential. Valuation of select technologies.
- With the Partnership Team, develop and implement marketing and patenting plans for inventions.
- Draft and negotiate term sheets, options, licenses and other agreements., manage all active agreements.
- Responsible for data integrity on entire portfolio, requiring daily interaction with Inteum in order to stay current on the portfolio management.
- Together with the Director of Technology Management, manage portfolio balance and recommend improvements to process and procedures to better manage portfolio.
- Work with external and internal legal counsel to ensure appropriate and strategic protection of FHCRC intellectual property.
- Work with Operations Team to ensure data integrity and appropriate reporting of inventions, relationship management, contract data accuracy, and financials related to entire portfolio.
- Together with Partnership Team, research to determine if there is a market need for technologies in progress and analyze if the market can support the technology. If a market need exists, research the size of the market and the value of the technology. Research existing technologies/products. Identify businesses interested in the technology.
- Facilitate interactions between research and industry.
- Educate the academic community about technology transfer and intellectual property.
- Participate in local and regional business groups to foster community economic development. Initiate partnerships to develop technologies internally and externally.
- Serve as a mentor for the Technology Associate by providing opportunities for that team member to learn about the responsibilities and duties of a Technology Manager.
- Master's degree in biomedical sciences or related discipline required.
- Minimum five years of experience in a related field / discipline.
- Ph.D. degree in biomedical sciences or related discipline preferred.
Skills and abilities
- Ability to apply critical thinking skills to process and manage a portfolio of technologies, contracts, and patents that result in valuable intellectual property and commercialized products.
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to work as an effective team member, including contributing to projects and meetings.
- Demonstrate organizational, prioritization, and time management skills to ensure proper management of a significant portfolio, and adequate contribution to group activities.
- Ability to understand and follow standard operating procedures, while recognizing exceptions to the SOPs, and use critical thinking skills to make decisions that limit risk and meet business needs.
We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If interested, please apply online at http://track.tmpservice.com/ApplyClick.aspx?id=2297267-2647-2221