Technology Development Scientist, Molecular Biology
Chesterford (nr. Cambridge), UK
Contract 12 months / Full Time
This is a unique opportunity to join a talented team of 30+ scientists and engineers at the frontiers of innovation in next-gen DNA sequencing (NGS). As a Technology Development Scientist at Illumina you will work in a dynamic, team-oriented environment and create novel molecular biology tools for the preparation of samples for the Illumina platforms. You will collaborate with key customers and internal partners to develop new applications and exemplify our current products. Through your integration of molecular biology, sequencing chemistry and hardware components, you will participate in the development of high quality, robust new products. This position will require working as a part of multidisciplinary team developing state-of- the-art technology.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
- Lab-bench based experimentation
- Researching into existing and future DNA and RNA sample preparation methodologies.
- Operating MiSeq instruments
- Analyzing complex data sets and interpreting results of your own and teammates experiments.
- Troubleshooting, diagnosing and fixing performance issues with molecular biology protocols
- Contributing to the ongoing development of Illumina's DNA sequencing systems, testing of new equipment and reagents.
- Providing guidance to internal teams throughout Illumina and externally to key collaborators.
- Presentation of results to senior management, to peer colleagues and of products to customers and collaborators.
This is a highly talented and focused R&D team, working at the fore-front of NGS technology. We rely on scientists who thrive in a multidisciplinary environment, who can not only bring their particular expertise and skills but are also happy to broaden and develop their research interests.