The Judith Sulzberger Genome Center at the Columbia University Medical Center is seeking a research Technician B. This position will be in our Next Generation Sequencing Core. The lab is fast growing, and equipped with state-of-the-art high-throughput sequencing instruments.
The Genome Center is a production-scale Next Generation Sequencing laboratory accepting thousands of samples per year. The Genome Center is involved with all aspects of next generation sequencing for a wide range of research projects, including whole genome, exome and RNA sequencing, beginning with sample quality control through analytics. We have extensive collaborations with investigators at Columbia University, including in personal medicine and cancer genomics.
Candidates for this position must have experience working in a lab and the scientific knowledge to understand protocols. A background in biology, chemistry, or similar and experience handling RNA is desired.
Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Must be familiar with enzymatic reactions and PCR. She/he will perform small batches of TruSeq RNA library preparations and run libraries on Illumina sequencing instruments.
- Must be able to accurately record data and keep a very neat, well organized and up-to-date lab notebook. Samples must be tracked perfectly.
- Technical proficiency in laboratory benchwork necessary for achieving precise and consistent results.
- Responsible for handling precious samples and there cannot be errors in preparation.
- As the Genome Center provides a service to clients, the technician will have significant interaction with the PIs and researchers throughout a project, and will need to communicate with our users in an impeccable professional manner.
- The technician will work with researchers to help them understand submission requirements and to ensure the samples meet QC standards.
- She/he will receive the samples from the researchers and store them properly.