We are seeking a highly motivated Team Leader to lead the Genomics Technology Infrastructure Team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located on the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
The Team Leader will manage and develop the core infrastructure, analysis and production pipelines supporting the Ensembl project. Ensembl is one of the world’s leading resources for genomic research and EMBL-EBI is committed to the long term expansion of value-added genomics resources delivered through the Ensembl platform. This position is part of a strategic expansion of the Ensembl and Ensembl Genomes project leadership team designed to increase the scope, efficiency and effectiveness of EMBL-EBI’s genome annotation resources.
The successful candidate will lead a growing team, currently consisting of 12 staff members and will be responsible for maintain and developing all aspects of the Ensembl core software including our Perl and REST APIs as well as the development and deployment of new tools for interacting with and mining the Ensembl data. The role also includes overall responsibility for production and release of both the Ensembl and Ensembl Genomes resources including their BioMarts, which are comprehensively updated approximately five times each year.
The Genomics Technology Infrastructure Team Leader will work closely with other Team Leaders within the greater Ensembl project and other teams at EMBL-EBI to ensure an integrated data presentation and improved efficiency for all of EMBL-EBI’s genome annotation resources. As a member of EMBL Faculty, the post holder will report to the Vertebrate Genomics Senior Team Leader, and jointly with the Senior Team Leader and other senior Ensembl staff will develop and refine EMBL-EBI genome annotation strategy.
In addition to the above, more specific responsibilities will include:
- Managing the team’s budget and staff; communicating with EMBL-EBI’s HR and Grants offices;
- Participating in related projects across the EBI, collaborating closely with other Team Leaders and other staff at EBI, and in particular with other Team Leaders within the greater Ensembl project;
- Contributing to the development of overall organisational strategy;
- Participating in large-scale international scientific consortia as well as more targeted external collaborations;
- Presenting work in international meetings and preparing scientific publications;
- Identifying appropriate funding opportunities and applying for external grants.
The EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), is a world-leading bioinformatics centre providing biological data to the scientific community with expertise in data storage, analysis and representation. EMBL-EBI provides freely available data from life science experiments, performs basic research in computational biology and offers an extensive user training programme, supporting researchers in academia and industry. We are part of EMBL, Europe’s flagship laboratory for the life sciences.