Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. Life at Illumina is about working with teammates who are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives. We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Just check out our investor events and presentations to learn about our financial accomplishments. Our growth isn’t just in financials, we’ve been busy hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you. Join the journey of a lifetime. Join Illumina.
We are seeking a Systems Engineer to help us build the next generation of clinical diagnostic tests. This position work with external and internal partners in Operations, R&D, and Software, to develop new laboratory automation and diagnostic equipment. This engineer will focus on system testing and development activities.
As a member of our Reproductive and Genetic Health business unit, you will be at the forefront of taking Illumina’s impressive battery of technology and applying it to better the reproductive outcomes of patients everywhere in the world. The technology is amazing, but at the end of the day, it’s the outcome to patient that matters. You will not only leverage the power of our next generation sequencing technologies, but will help guide development of future products.
In this role, you will work with cross functional teams to understand, develop, and characterize automated methods for new product offerings, as well as other customer workflows. You are willing to travel up to 10% outside of the bay area and 2-8 days per month to alternative Bay Area sites.
As a member of our development group, you will become an expert in the entire workflow of the product and provide support for both internal and external customers. To accomplish this you will take on the following responsibilities:
- Apply engineering, statistics, and scientific theory to measure and quantify performance of Illumina NGS Products.
- Design, plan, and conduct experiments to assess the technical capability, feasibility, and performance of assay, robotic, fluidic, sensor, and instrumentation sub-systems and systems.
- Develop and execute formal protocols, analyze and interpret results, and communicate results and their impact to the project and the customer through written reports, design reviews, and interactive discussions.
- Identify and pursue opportunities to facilitate more reliable and efficient verification testing, such as automated test fixtures, simulation and analysis capabilities.
- Engage in hardware/software integration testing, performance characterization, requirements analysis, test design, test execution, defect and customer complaint root cause investigations, and risk and hazard analysis.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Systems, Biomedical, Electrical, Biochemical, Chemical) or a BS in a science/technology field and equivalent experience
- 1-2 years’ experience in product development, medical device, test engineering, or relevant industry experience
- Ability to quickly grasp and analyze fluidic handling, control systems, and wet chemistry systems
- Experience with Biological Assays, comfortable working in a BSL-2 Environment
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills, experience with statistical analysis techniques and packages
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of fundamental engineering concepts
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Comfortable asking questions, raising concerns, and engaging in technical dialog in new and uncharted fields
- Clinical development and/or manufacturing background is highly desirable (ISO 13485, GMP, etc.)
- Prior experience with medical diagnostic system verification and validation
- Experience with robotics and control systems
- Experience with NGS Sample Preparation Methods, and NGS Sequencing
- Experience with software testing and development
- Experience with MATLAB, JMP, Minitab, R, or other statistical analysis packages
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at 858-246-8959. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf