The Synthesis Scientist I synthesizes custom oligonucleotides according to the customer's order. This generally includes synthesis, cleavage, deprotection and QC sampling of the products being made.
Job Specific Essential Functions:
- Synthesizes oligos on various synthesizer platforms
- Cleaves and deprotects oligos utilizing appropriate methods
- Quantifies and samples oligos for quality control tests
- Attaches modifications utilizing various techniques
- Adheres to safety regulations, lab SOPs, and contamination controls
- Uses lab equipment including limited maintenance and troubleshooting activities
- Uses custom software packages to complete tasks and create final product
- Assesses QC data accurately and makes pass/fail decisions for oligos
- Handles expensive oligos and reagents
- Keeps thorough records of specialized processes in the oligo process history
- Follows documented custom instructions, when applicable
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with the Integrated DNA Technologies Core Values
- Performs other duties as assigned
Position Specific Essential Functions:
- Prepares oligos for final shipment to customer or for further processing in other departments.
- Performs decontamination programs on liquid handling instruments.
- Associate's degree in science related field plus 2 years of applicable lab experience required
- Bachelor's degree in science related field preferred
- Proficiency in a variety of PC software programs with strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office required
Other Job Qualifications
- Ability to prioritize and organize workload to efficiently accomplish departmental goals
- Ability to manage time and works independently
- Ability to communicate with peers and all levels of management
- Uses aids and SOPs to make decisions about the proper production path per product
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work in a team environment, remaining attentive to ideas, recognizing responsibilities, and actively participating with others to accomplish assignments and achieve desired goals.
- Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergent, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or situation in which working speed and sustained attention are make-or-break aspects of the job.
- Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another without loss of efficiency or composure.
- Ability to maintain both a high standard of courtesy and cooperation in dealing with co-workers.
- Ability to accept responsibility for the direction, control or planning of an activity.
- Adaptability to situations requiring the precise attainment of set limits, tolerances or standards.
- Ability to perform repetitive work or to perform continuously the same work, according to set procedures sequence or pace.
Integrated DNA Technologies is an equal employment and affirmative action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.