Study Technician - Metabolism
Covance is seeking a Study Technician to join the Metabolism team. In this role you will collect, document, and manage pertinent data including animal observations, test material administration, and clinical sample collection in compliance with appropriate SOPs, GLPs, and regulatory agency guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The scope of this position is within one site across multiple studies daily.
- Learns how to determine and document clinical observations, body weight data, food consumption data environmental data, and other data on the appropriate data collection system (or by hand when necessary).
- Learns how to interpret a protocol.
- Learns study management, data organization, QA audit response, internal and external client communication skills, and quality check procedures.
- Learns how to ensure that a study is conducted according to protocol, SOPs, IACCUC and government regulations.
- Maintains animal rooms and equipment in compliance with GLP and AAALAC requirements.
- Learns commonly used clinical sampling techniques. Learns how to process and package biological samples for shipment to client.
- Receive, donate and euthanize animals according to USDA regulations.
- Recognizes deviations from expected results and takes appropriate action.
- Able to adapt techniques to new procedures or particular needs as directed.
- Effectively schedules multiple assignments.
- Maintains well documented laboratory records according to GLPs. Reviews own data and identifies potential problems.
- Learns to utilize computer software for forms and procedure generation.
- May instruct less experienced staff.
- Learns blood pressure and body temperature measurement procedures as appropriate.
- May be involved in client tours or client interaction during study initiations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor degree in Life Sciences, Associate degree in Laboratory Animal Technology, or Associate degree in Veterinary Technology with 0-2 years of related experience.
- AALAS certification at Laboratory Animal Technician level desirable.
Experience No experience is required if you meet the education requirements.
0-2 years of related external experience based on education.
A minimum of 6 months experience as a Study Tech Trainee while employed at Covance, or a minimum of two years of related experience may be substituted for education requirements
- Overtime and weekend work as required.
- Mandatory immunizations and screening as required.
- Requires ability to lift up to 50 pounds; frequent lifting throughout the day; prolonged standing; extended hand manipulation, including but not limited to, grasping and holding.
- May work with potentially hazardous substances, not limited to potential or known teratogens or carcinogens and/or radiolabeled test materials.
- Work may require PPE (Personal Protective equipment.
EEO Employer Covance is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer (Minority/Female/Individual with Disability/Veteran). Your confidentiality and privacy are important to us.