Staff Systems Support Engineer (Next Gen DNA Sequencing)
Cambridge, UK / Full time.
Fantastic remuneration package which includes company equity, annual bonus scheme, 10% pension, private healthcare and more!
Are you an experienced engineer with experience within the instrumentation/automation sector and proven leadership skills?
Are you a natural networker, capable of interfacing across multiple groups in a multinational organization?
Illumina is the global leader in the development of Next Generation DNA Sequencing Technology (NGS). With over 90% of the world’s NGS data being produced using Illumina technology, it’s clear that our systems which include the hardware, software and reagents represent the most reliable and accurate genomics platforms on the market today.
Illumina’s Product Development function is looking for a driven, hands-on and innovative leader to run our Systems Support group at their EMEA headquarters. This is an exciting opportunity to work on one of the most exciting technology platforms in life sciences. Illumina’s sequencing technology utilises proprietary biochemistry coupled with state of the art microfluidics, laser detection and powerful software. Illumina has held its place as the leading NGS platform by reinvesting heavily into R&D to ensure it is at the front of the technology curve.
The role will involve leading a group that has a key role in supporting Illumina’s unparalleled in-house sequencing capabilities by providing primary support to internal commercially released sequencing instruments, sample preparation platforms and prototype systems.
- Provide technical expertise to support prototype development covering a broad range of disciplines including optics, fluidics and software.
- Drive troubleshooting activities to solve complex instrumentation issues.
- Monitor sequencing instrument uptime and utilisation trends to improve operational efficiency.
- Lead a group of instrument support engineers in the UK to maintain the fleet of R&D sequencing and related platforms.
- Responsible for scheduling and prioritisation of instrument maintenance and repairs.
- Provide system level training to assist with onboarding of assisting engineering support staff
- Collaborate with other functions and business units to achieve the company’s product development goals
- Cultivate collaborative team environment, maintain relationships with internal customers and promote the establishment of new relationships across departments in the UK, San Diego and Singapore, to achieve the company’s product development goals.