All About Us
Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. We are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives.
We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Our revenue grew from $10 million in 2002 to approximately $2.4 billion in 2016. Our growth isn’t just revenue, we’ve been hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its “World’s Smartest Companies” list each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you – imagine the possibilities.
Join one of biotech's most successful companies to create world-class software with the best and brightest in the industry. Illumina boasts a team of over 100 software professionals at its San Diego headquarters. You will work in an environment that is collaborative, innovative and fun. As a Software Engineer, you will enjoy a rich network of analysts, graphic designers, human factors experts and test engineers to accelerate your work. Your projects will benefit from agile methodologies, pattern-based design, and the latest software technologies.
Illumina’s Enterprise Informatics Business unit is searching for a software engineer to join its cloud development team. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will participate in the development of Illumina’s BaseSpace Sequence Hub cloud platform that is revolutionizing DNA sequencing analysis to enable rapid advances in disease research and drug development. This position requires a figure who thrives on collaboration that understands the importance of teamwork, with a strong sense of ownership.
- Collaborate with product owners and other application developers to design, code, and maintain high quality, cloud-based applications against established processes in a scrum team setting
- Work with software teams to ensure alignment of architecture to user requirements
- Occasionally provide technical assistance to escalated production issues
- Maintain awareness of industry trends and evaluate applicability of new software technologies to platform development efforts
- Provide technical leadership to an Agile team if required
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Extensive knowledge and experience with C#, .Net in AWS environment
- Experience with SaaS multitenant database architectures using RDBMS, and noSQL stores such as Elastic Search, Cassendra, and MangoDb
- Deep understanding of SOA, web security architecture, REST APIs, event-driven architecture, and other architectural patterns
- Experience with client-side MVC Frameworks (i.e., AngularJS, KnockoutJS) is a plus
- Proficient with source control management repositories (such as GIT, SVN, etc.) and CM practices
- Extensive experience writing high quality unit tests against mock objects
- Good understanding of object oriented analysis and design
- Demonstrated success in collaborating in a fast-paced team environment and delivering high-quality software products using established agile development methodologies (such as Scrum, Kanban, etc.) against formal schedules
- Possess proven troubleshooting skills
- Be curious, detail oriented, and analytical, with a proven ability to learn quickly
- Be customer-focused, team-oriented, and motivated, taking ownership of assigned tasks
- Have proven ability to self-manage, as well as manage interdisciplinary relationships
- Have proven verbal and written communication skills
Education and Experience:
- B.S. degree (or higher) in Computer Science or significant experience
- At least 8 years of overall programming experience building large-scale enterprise applications
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.