Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. Life at Illumina is about working with teammates who are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives. We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Just check out our investor events and presentations to learn about our financial accomplishments. Our growth isn’t just in financials, we’ve been busy hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you. Join the journey of a lifetime. Join Illumina.
When you’ll join us, you will be working closely with all team members to design, analyse requirements, define use cases and develop/enhance software components for our commercial clinical diagnostics products. You will take a central role in the development of our next generation solution. This will include developing commercial sequencing data analysis pipeline, middle ware for implementing assay specific business rules on a server, back end database management, as well as system reporting and web user interface client.
You’ll be a great fit for this position and our team if you are self-driven, motivated, detail oriented and passionate about your work. You should be able to think independently through problems, be able to suggest different approaches, communicate well with team members and management, thrive to learn new things and be open to new ideas. While our team is located in Redwood City, CA you will work with other team members in San Diego, CA and Cambridge, UK.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in a technical subject (Software Engineering, Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Mathematics or Engineering)
- Minimum of 10-15 years of solid software development experience using one of the following is a must: Java, Python, or C#
- Design of database schemas and development of code to efficiently store and extract large data sets from relational databases
- Working in a Linux environment, with solid familiarity with bash command line
- Full software-life cycle experience: software requirements, design, implementation, testing and maintenance
- Experience of working in a regulated software development under FDA or ISO guidelines and in compliance with a Quality Management System
- Good people skills, experience in managing small software projects. Ability to lead and mentor junior engineers
Any of the following skills are also desirable:
- Background in algorithm development for genomics data, data pre-processing, fundamental Machine Learning techniques and Multivariate classification
- Design and development of Graphical User Interfaces, whether desktop or web-based, for viewing and manipulating large and/or complex data sets
- Development on both Windows and Linux systems
- Preparation of software requirements and system analysis
- Software quality standards
- Use of source code control systems
- Automated software testing (Robot framework or similar)
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at 858-246-8959. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf