About the Center for Genomics of Neurodegenerative Disease
The Center for Genomics of Neurodegenerative Disease (CGND) is dedicated to the study of neurodegenerative diseases such as ALS and Alzheimer’s disease. CGND’s vision is to establish a center for applying state of the art genetics, genomics and bioinformatics to the study of neurodegenerative disease mechanisms.
The CGND is looking for a highly self-motivated Staff Scientist with broad experience in both, molecular and computational methods related to the study of gene expression regulation. This is an exciting opportunity with significant potential for individual growth. The Staff Scientist will drive CGND’s diverse projects in the field of functional genomics. In this role, the Staff Scientist will develop and incorporate cutting-edge molecular and biochemical protocols (such as UV-CLIP, ChIP-seq and ATAC-seq) and apply and expand bioinformatics pipelines for the analysis and interpretation of next-generation sequencing data. The Staff Scientist will help to co-ordinate the efforts of on-site and off-site technical support staff, and provide expertise in his/her area of work to other team members and as part of external collaborations. The Staff Scientist will be part of a multi-disciplinary team, where enthusiasm and facility for learning new skills and applications will be necessary.
Job responsibilities will include:
- Establishment and optimization of complex molecular and biochemical protocols for the generation of diverse genome-wide datasets from cell lines and tissues (such as UV-CLIP, ChIP-seq, ATAC-seq);
- Perform advanced analysis and biological interpretation of genomics data sets from diverse in-house sources and external research collaborations;
- Facilitate the planning and co-ordination of research programs involving in vitro cell differentiation and mouse models of ALS;
- Provide expertise in Illumina-based NGS technology and data analysis;
- Supervise technical support staff in the front-to-end NGS library preparation and quality control;
- Train technical support staff in the execution of project-relevant tasks and protocols;
- Stay up to date with advances and novel methods in biotechnology, sequencing technologies and bioinformatics tools to identify relevant developments and facilitate their on-boarding into CGND’s operations;
- Write reports and present results to CGND’s leadership.