As a Staff Scientist at Illumina, you will drive innovative product development through the application of diverse scientific principles. You will be a leader within a multi-disciplinary team working to create novel, robust products for the Array platforms offered by Illumina. You will lead the Assay development group to conceptualize, develop and optimize high-throughput assays and processes to maintain and expand Illumina’s market share in current and emerging markets. You will help create genomic analysis tools for use in research, translational science and a variety of applied commercial markets.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
- In collaboration with Marketing, Sales and Customers, develop a roadmap of biochemical assays and workflows to support the changing market needs.
- Identify, evaluate, plan, and optimize research ideas leading to new robust assays and chemistries.
- Identify new opportunities for innovative products using the company’s core technologies.
- Explore new technologies and identify creative solutions to overcome current limitations.
- Lead projects and guide technical areas independently. Make decisions involving designing, performing, troubleshooting, analyzing and presenting experiments, ultimately resulting in the commercialization of new products in fast-paced product development environment.
- Manage goals and budgets within defined target timeframes and make decisions regarding the goals and progress of project / functional teams.
- Be a strong scientific individual contributor as well as a collaborative team leader and proactive functional manager.
- Perform equally well as individual contributor, collaborative team member and technical manager depending on project needs, be highly adaptive to changing project scopes and responsibilities.
- Design, implement, analyze and present experiments to demonstrate feasibility of new methods and efficiently move products through pipeline.
- Write reports and present results and project assessments to Senior Management
- Optimize assay conditions to achieve commercial levels of stability, robustness and performance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.