HJF is seeking a Staff Scientist for the Collaborative Health Research Initiative Program (CHIRP) at the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences in Bethesda, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to the CHIRP.
1. Advises and assists in the experimental design of sequencing-based profiling projects for program investigators. Coordinates with investigators for project management, including timelines and sample receipt.
2. Establishes, updates, and maintains standard operating procedures for sequencing workflows in the core. Trains and supervises technical staff in sequencing workflows.
3. Oversees sample, library and sequencing quality control processes, monitors and troubleshoots process and sequencing platform failures.
4. Conducts and analyzes sequencing data quality control and summarizes quality control results to investigators and Informatics Core.
5. Purchases, inventories, and maintains integrity of sequencing core consumables. Evaluates new sequencing kits for laboratory core use.
6. Maintains core laboratory LIMS and electronic notebook and reviews accurate data entries.
7. Evaluates and deploys novel next-generation sequencing based methodologies and equipment. Participates in technology improvement projects to support research objectives. Trains personnel for novel sequencing protocols.
8. Generates core progress reports and presents project progress in program meetings.
9. Assists with the report of experimental results for publication in technical and peer-reviewed journals. Contributes and edits data, text and figures in program publications.
10. Maintains a safe work environment including appropriate training of other personnel and performing routine laboratory maintenance.
11. Provides collaborative assistance to USU personnel that require the incumbent's expertise.
12. Completes other projects as needed.
13. May interview new laboratory core personnel.