Affymetrix, now part of Thermo Fisher Scientific
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist to join the R&D team in San Diego. You will work closely with other scientists to develop new products in the area of immunology. This is a great opportunity for a dynamic researcher interested in utilizing their expertise to contribute to a rapidly growing company.
* Under the guidance of senior staff, design, characterize, validate, and commercialize new reagents for microscopy and other applications.
* Follow protocols for immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescent microscopy of cultured cells, cryosections and FFPE sections; from tissue harvesting, embedding to staining and analysis
* Develop and maintain cell lines and primary cell culture, as well as tissue processing for cell-based analysis of RNA and protein.
* Ability to design experiments, troubleshoot problems, and interpret results with minimal supervision
* Write and update Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as well as train
* Conduct scientific literature searches
* Maintain laboratory equipment and supplies
* Work efficiently with other groups within R&D to track and support projects through each stage of development
* Manage multiple projects concurrently to meet aggressive timelines
* Deliver written and oral reports to manager and extended R&D teams at formal meetings
* Collaborate with other departments across the organization (e.g., Technical Support, Quality Control, and Marketing) to support products
* Maintain a safe working environment
* The ideal candidate will have a Ph.D. in Immunology or Cell Biology or equivalent; 2-3 yrs industry experience desired.
* Must have experience performing both colorimetric and multiplex fluorescent immunohistochemistry, and immunocytochemistry. Experience with in situ hybridization desirable.
* Must have at least 2 years experience analyzing and interpreting IHC data, knowledge of histology and pathology in a variety of normal and neoplastic tissues desirable.
* Must be able to independently design experiments and critically analyze complex data
* Technical skills to include but not limited to immunohistochemical techniques of cryosections and paraffin embedded tissues. Multi-labeling techniques are a must.
* Capable of effective troubleshooting and optimizing technical protocols
* Must be able to multitask effectively
* Must be adaptable and flexible to meet changing priorities
* Must be highly organized and goal-oriented
* Must have excellent written and oral communication skills as well as demonstrated success in execution and completion of projects
* Experience using databases, Excel, ImageJ, Photoshop, and Powerpoint
Requires manual dexterity and visual acuity when handling specimens, slides, and utilizing instrumentation. Typical physical demands include ability to sit, stand or walk extensively. Must be able to work under dim light conditions while utilizing the microscope.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Noise level in the environment is moderate
Affymetrix, now a part of Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/AA Employer of Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity