Staff Mechanical Engineer
1305 O’Brien Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Pacific Biosciences (NASDAQ: PACB) is helping scientists forge a better understanding of biology by providing a unique long-read sequencing technology that generates more complete and accurate data, giving them more insights. Our sequencing systems allow scientists to characterize genomes, transcriptomes, and epigenomes from any organism. Scientists use our technology in areas such as human biomedical research, plant and animal sciences, and microbiology and infectious disease studies. Become part of the new paradigm in long-read sequencing and help shape the future of genomic study by joining the Pacific Biosciences team.
Pacific Biosciences is looking for an experienced staff mechanical engineer to design and implement the chassis for our next generation SMRT sequencing instruments. This person will work with the broader hardware team to understand and refine requirements, design hardware, drive interdisciplinary design reviews and implement solutions from an optimal blend of off-the-shelf and custom components. This person should be comfortable creating order in both loosely defined environments in order to handoff an organized product to the manufacturing team.
This successful candidate must have excellent oral and written communication skills and excel in effective collaboration with optical, electrical, software, manufacturing, and systems subject matter experts within the department as well as program management. The candidate must feel comfortable inspiring and leading through innovation and discovery.
Ideally the candidate has experience with semiconductor capital equipment, laboratory instruments or similar products.
- Work with the engineering team to mount and organize complex subassemblies according to functional needs and available instrument space
- Work with industrial designers and marketing to define the hardware user interface
- Work with industrial designers on instrument design, including translating the industrial design output into finished part documentation
- Work closely with electrical engineers and manufacturing engineers on PCBA layout & mounting and cabling
- Work closely with the integration team on vibration measurement, evaluation and control. Update designs based on test results
- Instrument layout including space and weight allocations
- Instrument solid model ownership
- Instrument structural design including either structural analysis or supervision of contract resource
- Maintain a large bill of materials and work with the manufacturing engineering team to organize
- Understanding, articulating, & managing competing requirements
- Product development from concept to production handoff and follow up support on released instruments on an as needed basis
- Assuring parts fit every time
- Identify and work with plastic suppliers for DFM and to bring up and qualify molds
- Writing statements of work for contractors
- Education: BS in mechanical engineering with 5 or more years of experience in mechanical engineering and manufacturing
- Organization skills are a must for this position
- Experience manufacturing complex instruments
- >10,000 seat hours in SolidWorks
- Proficiency in documenting designs, procedures, and implementation of document changes
- Working knowledge of standard mechanical test equipment and procedures
- Ability to read and interpret test data
- Working knowledge of handling, assembly and shipping of complex mechanical systems
- Understanding of metal and plastic fabrication requirements
- Experience with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing especially in the context of sheet metal fabrication and plastic molding capabilities
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills a must. Demonstrated experience in working within a multi-disciplinary team in a fast paced, technically challenging environment. Relevant product development and / or industry experience required
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary biotech environment a plus
- Experience with automation is a plus
- Must be able to lift 50lb repeatedly
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
How to Apply
About Our Organization
PacBio is a leading provider of high quality, long-read sequencing platforms.