Seeking a Staff Development Engineer with experience in developing and testing microfluidics/fluidics systems for biological applications to contribute to the next generation of genome sequencing systems.
This position is in the Advanced Platforms Technology Development Group and involves laying the foundation for future cutting-edge products. The team is responsible for the earliest phases of product development including: collecting requirements, creation of system concepts, evaluation of candidates, building organizational consensus, and demonstrating feasibility.
The ideal candidate will have a fluidics / microfluidics background with very good understanding of the fundamental phenomena related to fluid flow and chemical/biological reactions, as well as demonstrated hands-on fabrication of fluidics/microfluidics devices with their associated testing platforms. As important will be a flexible mindset to switch between different research topics.
A driven creativity and a passion for solving difficult problems in cross-disciplinary teams are crucial, as is the ability to be comfortable with the design equivalent of “a blank page”.
- Apply analytical skills to improve understanding of fluidics phenomena happening inside consumables
- Provide guidance for designing innovative consumables, based on analytical tools or appropriate modelling
- Significantly contribute to developing new architectures for high volume medical device consumables that integrates microfluidics, chemistry and sensing
- Design, analyze, assemble and evaluate consumable/disposable devices
- Work within the organization to collect and define system requirements
- Brainstorm new concepts and drive towards down selection and proving out feasibility.
- Perform feasibility studies for throughput, reliability, cost, ergonomics, and product quality
- Provide technical leadership to project teams, including junior engineers
- Provide updates to upper management