Staff Engineer, Device Development
1305 O’Brien Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Pacific Biosciences is looking for an experienced individual to join the SMRT Cell Process Development team working on R&D for next generation devices. The candidate's main focus is development of device fabrication process for next generation DNA sequencing consumable cells. The candidate will be required to technically lead and/or participate in complex process development projects ranging from developing novel unit processes, process integration schemes to solving yield issues and qualify processes for a full product release. The candidate must have strong drive to solve complex problems requiring evaluation of intangible factors and must be comfortable in a multi-disciplinary environment. Also the candidate will be expected to travel frequently to wafer fabrication foundry sites for managing projects.
- Develop front-end wafer fabrication unit processes like Lithography, Etch, Deposition, CMP, Cleaning etc.
- Develop process flows that integrate various unit processes above to achieve yield and performance targets for the device at the various front-end suppliers. This will include interfacing with external suppliers across cultural and geographical boundaries via conference calls and trips to partner sites to assist in the development process.
- Define, identify and document appropriate set of process control parameters for manufacturability and yield.
- Summarize and analyze Metrology / FA data generated from many sources in order to detect/track/solve complex issues.
- Determine root cause of failed device component causing system performance issues using a combination of optical testing, inspection and failure analysis techniques like SEM, TEM, EDS, EELS, etc.
- Coordinate and communicate device performance and Metro/FA results to different stakeholders including process, design, system, instrument and protocols teams.
- Collaborate with various R&D teams to verify and validate functional performance for different device components with changes in materials, process, design, suppliers, etc.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
- Ph.D. or equivalent experience in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics or related scientific and engineering disciplines.
- 7+ years of industry experience preferably dealing with complex product development and integration into complex systems, in low and high volume environments.
- In-depth experience in one of the following areas: CMOS imagers, consumer electronic and opto-electronic devices, integrated optics, Bio-Medical Devices.
- Familiarity with strategies and methods for process development and qualification of low and high volume environments for consumer and medical applications.
- Ability and willingness to travel 10-20% of the time.
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
How to Apply
About Our Organization
PacBio is a leading provider of high quality, long-read sequencing platforms.