Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. The Clinical Genomics Group uses the company's latest technological innovations in next generation sequencing and array-based technology to provide clinical laboratory tests that have a significant impact on patients' lives. We are customer-focused service and excel at producing accurate and timely results to aide in the diagnosis of rare genetic diseases and help future parents make informed choices. We’ve built a culture fueled by collaboration and openness, and are deeply passionate about our work as we know that we improve countless lives every day.
This position is a key role supporting the procurement of direct materials for Illumina’s Clinical Lab Services group. This exciting opportunity is a key contributor in the successful execution of a high growth business at Illumina. The Staff Buyer will be responsible for ensuring the timely deliveries of externally sourced materials required to support the Clinical Lab Services across multiple sites. The ideal candidate will leverage strategic sourcing solutions to ensure product is being purchased from the correct and approved suppliers, in a fact paced regulated environment.
The candidate should possess cross-functional skills to successfully collaborate with internal groups such as LabOps, Inventory Control, Quality, Engineering, R&D and Finance; while equally adept at partnering with critical suppliers to articulate the needs (forecast), coordinating supply delivery, and managing supplier performance for the Clinical Services Lab.
This position is responsible to control and negotiate the purchases of direct materials required to support the growing needs of the Clinical Lab Services business, and will require the skills and aptitude to manage several purchase orders, requisitions, returns, and invoice resolution.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Negotiate with suppliers for the best price and delivery of the required materials in the correct quantity and quality and ensure timely and accurate placement of stock orders
- Develop strategic long term supply strategies supporting a pull based replenishment model in a clinical regulated environment. Work with suppliers on managing Lot Phase-In, Material Sequestering and release scheduling
- Oversee material expediting activities and alternative sourcing where required. Analyze incoming requisitions and shortage reports for delivery requirements, quality, product and lot specification and pricing
- Collaborate closely with Clinical Lab Services LabOps and Inventory Control Stakeholders on material needs and scheduling
- Create and manage purchase orders based on MRP signals and other internal software tools
- Resolve receiving and accounts payable discrepancies
- Works closely with Assay Development teams on new product launches and enhanced product attributes
- Solicit competitive bids, evaluate proposals, obtain necessary purchasing approvals, negotiate or assist in the negotiation of contract terms, and expedite orders to ensure contract terms are met
- Generate the most suitable purchasing arrangement such as contracts, blanket orders and vendor stocking arrangements to streamline and obtain optimum pricing
- Analyze incoming requisitions and shortage reports for quality, specification, pricing and delivery requirements and validation of MRP output
- Strategic assessment of situations, best practice and recommendation for action resulting in favorable outcomes
- Strong team player with ability to work closely with Clinical Lab Services stakeholders
- Prefer experience in reagents, chemicals and consumables
- Support requirements for Supplier Qualification and Monitoring process including external supplier audits
- Support Supplier Scorecard process and Supplier QBR’s
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent work experience required. Bachelor’s Degree in Operations, Logistics, Business Administration, Supply Chain or Life Science disciplines is preferred
- CPM and / or CPIM preferred
- 8 years’ experience related to sourcing, purchasing, negotiating and expediting experience. Bioscience background preferred, CLIA experience is a plus
- Experienced with MRP, SAP, and Ariba preferred
- Exceptional customer service skills and experience
- Excellent Analytical skills and problem solver. Someone with the ability to measure and analyze potential issues while proactively address problems before they exist
- Effective verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Thorough knowledge of procurement, supplier relations, and inventory management
- High attention to detail and ability to balance multiple priorities simultaneously
- Proven ability to negotiate
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.
Illumina is improving human health by unlocking the power of the genome. Our focus on innovation has established us as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies, serving customers in the research, clinical and applied markets. Our products are used for applications in the life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging segments. To learn more, visit www.illumina.com and follow @illumina.
We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Our revenue grew from $10 million in 2002 to approximately $2.4 billion in 2016. Our growth isn’t just revenue, we’ve been hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its “World’s Smartest Companies” list each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you – imagine the possibilities.