All About Us
Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. We are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives.
We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Our revenue grew from $10 million in 2002 to approximately $2.2 billion in 2015. Our growth isn’t just revenue, we’ve been hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies list three years running, including #1 in 2014. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you – imagine the possibilities.
Illumina is a global leader in genomics – an industry at the intersection of biology and technology. At the most fundamental level, we enable our customers to read and understand genetic variations. We strive to make our solutions increasingly simple, more accessible, and always reliable. As a result, discoveries that were unimaginable even a few years ago are now becoming routine.
The Applied Genomics (AppGen) business unit is growing and looking for a high performing individual to contribute to the development of cutting-edge genomics solutions by increasing the usability and utility of our software solutions.
As an Illumina Software Systems Engineer you will work with product stakeholders to develop the software requirements for complex information systems and technology solutions. This crucial role partners with Assay Development, Marketing, Software Development, Software Quality and Software Test Engineers to support the design, development, and test of new and evolving products. Join our team and help us unlock the power of the genome.
All About You
- Coordinate across multi-disciplinary teams to transform user needs into a complete description of software system requirements
- Lead use case development, requirements gathering, requirements analysis and design/review meetings
- Create wireframes, workflow diagrams, and other visualizations to communicate technical concepts
- Write formal, detailed software requirements specifications and software documentation
- Manage requirements priority, changes, and planning for future product versions in a scalable and sustainable design
- Work in a collaborative team environment: accurately and fully describe user needs to software UX, development, and testing team members
- Support overall software project management including release planning, sprint planning and scope management
- Network across business areas and business functions for career growth and to inform product development.
- Lead feedback sessions with subject matter experts, customers and stakeholders.
- Stay abreast of trends in user experience, technology, and design processes.
- Evangelize user experience and customer-centric design practices
- Able to elicit requirements for new, medium to large scale systems with contributing subsystems
- Solid understanding of systems engineering to create and explain system modeling tools
- Knowledgeable of formalized requirements gathering and analysis methods and tools
- Demonstrated experience working with multi-disciplinary teams in different capacities
- Full understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Able to present concepts in a clear and convincing manner to a broad range of audiences - from executives to software developers.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with both technical and non-technical users
- Ability to multi-task, stay organized, and incorporate feedback in a fast-paced environment
- Capable of leveraging business relationships with a target of impacting project quality and timeline
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science or related discipline
- 5-10 years of relevant experience
- Experience with Software Development Life Cycle and Scrum methodologies
- Experience with next generation sequencing, genotyping or Illumina technologies preferred
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.