Requisition ID 36912BR
Title Sr. Scientist – Biology
Job Category Research & Development
Job Description PURPOSE:
The Peptide Therapeutic Discovery Department at Novo Nordisk Research Center Indianapolis, Inc. (NNRCI) will focus on the discovery of peptide and protein-based bio-therapeutics for the treatment of diabetes and obesity. This position will play a critical role in moving projects from target validation to clinical candidate selection.
Reports to the Director of Biology, or a similar seasoned research scientist. Internal relationships include the project teams and research colleagues at the NNRCI and globally at Novo Nordisk research laboratories. External relationships include relevant parts of the peptide & protein sciences biology community.
* The qualified individual will work in a group responsible for biological characterization of mechanism of action and the development of in vitro potency assays for novel proteins and peptides. The candidate will be primarily responsible for the development and implementation of binding, enzymatic and various in vitro cell-based assays.
* Lead the design, assembly, quality assessment and repetitive performance of in vitro biological assay in an independent manner for purposes of characterizing peptide and protein drug candidates. This includes versatility in rapid recruitment of new molecular reagents and their integration to a cellular format that is sufficiently robust to support drug development.
* Design, plan, and execute the experiments to thoroughly characterize peptides, proteins for purposes of assessing potency, selectivity and maximal efficacy. This scientist will be responsible for archiving biological to support external presentations, including any regulatory documents associated with advancement to clinical study.
* Design, implement, and perform workflow cascades for protein engineering projects that include recombinant protein expression, biophysical characterization, and high throughput bioanalytical screening including cell-based functional assays.
* Track novel biochemical methods and related technologies that can be employed at the NNRCI to drive molecular innovation in peptide & protein engineering and formulation.
* Capable of working independently and proactively, while tracking publically accessible competitive activity, most notably proficient in the interpretation and assembly of patent applications.
* Effectively communicate with supervisor and colleagues to promote a world-class research environment.
* Visible contribution to external community by publishing and presenting, as deemed corporately appropriate.
* Approximately 0-10% overnight travel
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS: EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
* Basic QualificationsPhD in Biochemistry, Signal Transduction, Biotechnology or Molecular Biology. Substantial relevant experience may be substituted for PhD requirement.
* Minimum of 1-3 years of postdoctoral experience, or equivalent
* Experience with statistical analysis of bioassays
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
* Demonstrated ability to work independently within cross-functional teams to meet specific goals
* Prior work in Pharma/Biotech or close exposures to R&D process in a commercial setting will be considered an additional strength.
* Additional Skills/PreferencesDemonstrated experience in elucidating mechanism of action and signal transduction pathways in fields of metabolism or endocrinology. “Outside the box” creativity in setting and achieving project goals is an expectation
* Extensive hands-on experience in potency assay development. (ELISA, AlphaLISA, FRET, proliferation, reporter gene, fluorescence/luminescence based assays)
* Experience with automation such as liquid handlers, and Biacore is an additional strength.
* Basic knowledge pertaining to metabolism and pathophysiology of various metabolic diseases is highly desirable
* Expertise in small-scale cell culture and fermentation with an emphasis on recombinant protein expression
* Proficient in current molecular biology, cell engineering, and protein production technologies.
Position Location US - Indianapolis, Indiana
State/Provinces US - IN
At Novo Nordisk, we know that driving change on a global level and improving treatment outcomes for people with diabetes and other chronic diseases begins here at home. That's why we make an unmatched commitment to our employees, our families and our communities. That means outstanding rewards, industry-leading training programs, and an environment that supports you to achieve your goals at every level. It's all part of the Novo Nordisk Way. It includes our Vision and our commitment to the Triple Bottom Line principle – helping us find the right balance between compassion and competitiveness
With a career at Novo Nordisk, you’ll feel a difference right from the start. It’s a sense of inspiration and mobility that comes from a shared belief in driving positive change for people, families, and communities everywhere. Congratulations on taking your first step!
Novo Nordisk is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Novo Nordisk will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.