We are seeking candidates for Twist Bioscience an exciting start-up company located in San Francisco. This is an ideal opportunity for individuals who thrive in a changing environment and enjoy supporting and delivering world-class products that meet customer needs.
Twist is looking for a Sr. Scientist with expert skills in molecular cloning/molecular biology to participate, lead and grow custom manufacturing operations as part of the Twist manufacturing pipeline. This Sr. Scientist will build complex genes to service the synthetic biology industry; this includes customers in the pharmaceutical, agricultural, industrial biochemistry and academic areas. In this role the Sr. Scientist will work closely with everyone in operations to evaluate customer orders, determine best routes and processes/protocols for custom product manufacturing and to produce product to meet customer needs. The Sr. Scientist will manage day to day activities of others on the custom production team.
Prior experience with process development and manufacturing of complex biological products is essential. Hands on experience with a primer design, cloning, transformation use of automated liquid handling systems is also required. Synthetic biology technology and method development experience is highly desired. This position reports to the Director of Operations.
- Own custom vector, custom template onboarding activities
- Interact with customers to gather information for special custom products as well as provide status updates
- Evaluate and provide manufacturing with plans for highly custom gene products that meet turnaround times: including recommendations for designs, cloning strategies, cell lines and quality control and processes
- Work with Bioinformatics, R&D, Tech Transfer and Manufacturing operators to keep production on track
- Run and produce highly custom products in manufacturing lab environment
- Scale up production of custom workflows in high throughput format to meet order requirements and to convert highly custom workflows to pipeline workflows
- Manage operators and research associates in day-to-day production
- Proactively identify production problems/ solutions, provide solutions on lab techniques, protocols, processes, sample handling and equipment
- Maintain thorough, accurate and detailed documentation/ databases of all work produced in batch records, databases or other acceptable formats including problems and deviations
- Train new hires, write documents such as SOPs, work instructions, batch records