Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
We seek a talented, collaborative inter-disciplinary scientist to lead work on the computational analysis of high-dimensional tissue, cell and molecular profiling data. This individual will play a key scientific role leveraging innovative computational analysis strategies and rich patient data to empower data-driven decisions for therapeutic programs in Celgene’s Immune & Inflammatory (I&I) Thematic Center of Excellence (TCoE). The role will align directly with the Celgene mission to improve therapeutic outcomes in complex diseases of unmet medical need.
Applications range from providing deep insight into therapeutic mechanisms of action for both existing and novel therapies, to the identification of novel targets and prediction of patient phenotypes associated with response to therapy. Analysis scenarios involve data from genetic, transcriptomic, proteomic, and wider cell-molecular profiling platforms.
The position would suit an individual with strong scientific leadership potential and excellent communication and collaboration skills. Applications are encouraged from those looking to bridge the gap between academic and industrial research environments to impact delivery of truly innovative and life-changing therapies.
Strong interest in the inter-disciplinary application of computational analysis methods to life sciences data is imperative, as is rich background and experience in autoimmunity research. Focus areas include systems-level analysis of SNP association studies, application of contemporary drug repurposing approaches for label expansion, and predictive patient stratification on large molecular profiling datasets for novel target identification and response enrichment hypotheses in key indications.
Working in collaboration with computational, biological and clinical scientists across the Celgene Research and Early Development organization, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Pursuit and supervision of leading computational biology research towards key Celgene scientific objectives, including line management of junior staff.
• Active participation as a core team member in the I&I Thematic Center of Excellence (TCoE).
• Coordinated application of novel computational analysis and biological interpretation approaches to leverage internal, public and partner datasets and empower data-driven decisions across therapeutic programs.
• Multi-disciplinary collaboration to investigate compound and disease properties and influence decisions from target prioritization through to translational development.
• Data integration across assay platforms and knowledge transfer from pre-clinical experiments to clinical trials.
• Participation in and oversight of scientific report writing. Presentation of methods, results and conclusions to a publishable standard.
• Contribution to planning and execution of collaborative projects with leading academic and commercial research groups worldwide.
Background experience & complementary knowledge
Ph.D. in genetics, computational biology, bioinformatics, or related field from a recognized higher-education establishment.
• 7+ years post-doctoral experience of inter-disciplinary computational and genetics/autoimmunity research in university, hospital or biotechnology environments.
• 3+ years experience in pharma/biotech research environment preferable.
• Previous experience of research supervision and track record of peer-reviewed publication in relevant scientific journals.
• Expertise in algorithmic implementation, statistical programming and data manipulation, using e.g. R/Bioconductor, Matlab, Python, and contemporary, open-source bioinformatics tools and database structures.
• Proven problem-solving skills, collaborative nature and adaptability across disciplines.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluent verbal and written English language skills prerequisite.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.
Req ID: 16000337
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Bedford
Job: Research and Development
Organization: Celgene Corporation
Employee Status: Individual Contributor
Job Type: Full-time
Job Level: Day Job
Job Posting: 2016-02-26 00:00:00.0
Biology, Biotech, Data, Database, Engineering, Genetics, Healthcare, Informatics, Medical, Open Source, R&D, Research, Research Scientist, Science, Scientific, Scientist, Senior Scientist, Statistics, Technology