Supports management and development of bioinformatic and genomic analysis capabilities for NBACC for bacterial and viral agents and complex metagenomic samples. Manages the bioinformatics team for casework and capability expansion to support the Manager/Deputy Manager for Genomics. Supervises, directs and evaluates staff supporting bioinformatic components of whole genome sequencing.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• Requires a PhD (or equivalent) in a scientific discipline or engineering, and a minimum of 9 years related experience.
• Ability to demonstrate success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity and accountability, while collaborating with others using independent thought.
• Proficiency and clarity of oral and written communications are essential.
• Exemplary organizational skills with a proven track record of working effectively both independently and as a team player.
• Knowledge or experience with biocontainment facilities and procedures, laboratory safety, biosurety, and decontamination desirable.
• Knowledge or experience with Quality Assurance (QA) programs such as ISO 9001 or ISO 17025 and/or Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)/Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) desirable.
• Must be a citizen of the United States, able to obtain an interim secret clearance leading to a top secret clearance, suitability for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), a favorable adjudication of the Department of Justice (DoJ) for select agent access, and enrollment in the Personnel Reliability Program (PRP). Current clearance(s) desirable.
• Participation in the Immunization Program through Corporate Occupational Health Solutions, LLC (CorpOHS) is required.
• May be required to participate in NBACC’s alternative work and/or on-call schedule, dependent upon business needs.
• Leads NBACC's bioinformatics capability and maintains familiarity with bioinformatics software, tools, and methods; helps determine requirements in these areas to support current and projected NBACC goals and objectives.
• Supports management of current bioinformatics analysis capabilities and development of capabilities in emerging technologies for genomic and functional characterization of bacterial and viral agents.
• Supports the development of an ISO 17025 accredited Genomics capability within NBFAC.
• Plans and manages individual projects within the NBACC Genomics group, overseeing execution to ensure project goals are met within schedule and budget constraints.
• Works with other members of the bioinformatics staff to ensure that hardware and software needs at NBACC are adequately met, and that future bioinformatics needs are being anticipated and addressed.
• Conducts independent research towards the development of high-performance computing software for microbial genome sequencing, assembly, annotation, metagenomic analysis, and genotyping using high-throughput sequencing platforms.
• Provides bioinformatics support for design, execution, and evaluation of bioforensic ISO 17025 compliant validation/verification protocols.
• Identifies, evaluates and incorporates relevant algorithms and software by reviewing pertinent literature. Works with NBACC researchers and external collaborators to determine future bioinformatics needs.
• Works on extremely complex problems in which analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangible variables.
• Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results, with demonstrated success in leading multiple scientific teams.
• Ability to act independently to determine methods and procedures on new assignments, while overseeing and managing the scientific or administrative activities of lower level personnel.
• Works as a strategic leader within the organization, with significant personnel, project, and budget management responsibilities across multiple projects.
• Expert knowledge of scientific principles and concepts, with a reputation as an emerging leader in the field, with sustained performance and accomplishment recognized internally and externally through publications, sponsor feedback, and peer input.
• Maintains a safe work environment by participating in specialized training and review of safety manuals and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Identifies departures from the Quality Management System (QMS) and initiates actions to investigate and prevent such occurrences.
• Maintains and evaluates records of analysis and reviews laboratory results, plans and reports.
• Ensures that equipment, reagents and supplies are maintained and used properly.
• Directs, prioritizes, schedules and provides technical expertise to staff to conduct work.
• Maintains appropriate records.
• Performs other assigned duties.