When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals
Location/Division Specific Information
Our Genetic Sciences Division (GSD) is at the forefront of innovation for genetic analysis research and clinical applications. Our teams are developing platform and content solutions that help bring criminals to justice, accelerate disease research, and keep the worlds food supply safe. We also develop advanced methods for testing and detection of viruses, helping to prevent global outbreaks.
GSD is made up of a diverse set of businesses, with a foundation made up of a variety of genetic analysis (GA) platforms, including qPCR, Microarray and Capillary Electrophoresis Sequencing and Fragment Analysis (CE). GSD is dedicated to serving our customers by delivering high-quality products that effectively meet their individual needs. The is no limit to the impact our technologies can have on the world, and as a member of our team you can play a critical role in helping fulfill our mission.
How will you make an impact?
The Senior Business Analyst, GSD Insights, develops customer/market/business insights to enable GSD to better serve our customers and drive the overall growth strategy and performance for GSD globally. This role will develop the division’s understanding of our customers, markets and competitors through establishment of operating mechanisms, delivery of business analytics and overall integration of insights as the foundation for decision-making. This role will be highly engaged with GSD Leadership and their global teams playing an integral role in the strategic & portfolio planning, business reviews and leading the development of content for critical leadership presentations to customers, channel partners, and/or the Thermo Fisher Board of Directors and Executive Leadership.
What will you do?
- Use your understanding of GA markets, competitors and customers to provide a distilled and actionable synthesis of available data to GSD Leadership
- Analyze current and future market trends to identify opportunities to transform the market place and accelerate GSD growth
- Establish and lead a Division-level, customer-focused operating mechanism that aligns the commercial and Business unit strategies to drives growth and customer satisfaction at our top customers
- Establish and lead a process to monitor the competitive marketplaces that GSD serves. Includes running a regular mechanism to report out to the GSD LT on competitor strategy and activities and the synthesis of information on market conditions into key actions and input to day to day business as well as formal business reviews
- Lead insight generation, directly or through supervision of suppliers, to inform product portfolio strategy, including customer and patient dynamics, competition, market segmentation, clinical and health economic model generation, pricing, positioning, promotion, forecasting, and sales strategy to successfully drive customer allegiance, enter new markets, and achieve growth and profitability goals by product and market segments in partnership with Marketing, Commercial and R&D
- Provide insights to inform and provide leadership in development of strategic plan process
- Provides insights to assess performance vs. business objectives and institutionalize ROI methodology for investments
- Develop leading data indicators (KPIs) of future business performance.
- Inform the organization about developments in the scientific field and the market as they impact and apply to the organization's strategic roadmap
- Coordinate timing of insight generation to maximize impact and overall business unit objectives
- BS/BA in a life-science and/or business discipline required
- Advanced degree in Business (MBA) or biomedical sciences (Ph.D.) preferred
- 3+ years working in the life science tools, pharmaceutical, biotech or medical device industries in a business support role
- 5+ years’ experience as a business analyst within a business, consulting firm, or corporate development
- Experience working with, and communicating to, senior level executives
- Experience working within or in partnership with a commercial/sales organizations
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of the Life Science Tools industry; key players, market dynamics and customer segmentation
- MBA-level financial acumen
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of data into concise and actionable take-aways
- Ability to excel in a highly-matrixed environment
- Deep knowledge of MS Office Suite, in particular Excel and PowerPoint, with a track record of creating compelling presentations for executive audiences
- Excellent analytical, project management and planning skills with the ability to learn quickly
- Sound strategic thinking
- Exceptional communication skills whether it is to be able to articulate a complex strategy and to translate it into impactful presentations, or to communicate effectively with a global and diverse team
- Skills required include listening, facilitation, conflict resolution, negotiation, and influence
- Proficiency in writing strategy documents, linking contributions from across functional teams to derive and improve strategy and execution
- Strong relationship building skills required, including experience bringing together diverse groups of stakeholders and helping them to work through to common solutions that meet the needs of the groups and the organization, while maintaining relationships
- Confidence and assertiveness, without being over the top; selfless team player, who is willing to roll his/her sleeves up to get the work done, whatever the task
- Efficient multitasking with strong organizational skills
- Ability to be comfortable with ambiguity and stepping outside of his/her comfort zone and show initiative
- Willingness to travel up to 25% of the time, both domestic and international