When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Sr. Manager, Research & Development will have leadership responsibility in planning and oversight for scientific activities in the research and development of in clinically oriented products. Housed within the Genetic Sciences Division of Thermo Fisher Scientific, the successful candidate will lead microbial applications R&D projects and work collaboratively with product management, bioinformatics, manufacturing, and other R&D teams to take new microbial assay products and applications through concept, feasibility, development, and commercialization. In addition, the candidate will actively participate in external communication and collaborations with thought leaders in microbiome and infectious disease research & diagnostics. The person will also lead a team of scientists and be responsible for setting their short and long-term goals and career planning.
This position will be responsible for developing and setting near-term and long-term research and development objectives. He/she will ensure that R&D staff pursues the highest level of technical competency and professionalism in all development activities and that all projects are aligned to the needs of the customers and business, and that developmental timelines are met. In this position, you will drive results through inspired leadership and a focused and disciplined approach to product development that is consistent with best practices in the Company and in the industry as well as in compliance with appropriate regulatory requirements. This position will act as a resident expert for assays in development.
- Manage research and development activities through all phases of product development
- Interact cross-functionally to define products, transfer new designs to manufacturing, and ensure on-time regulatory submissions
- Identify, establish, and champion strategic technology activities
- Set clear product development timelines and prioritize efforts to deliver on commitments
- Train and teach staff in areas of expertise
- Ensure that there are adequate resources and capabilities in place to manage ongoing product development functions
- Lead R&D evaluation of new license and co-development opportunities
- Identify and facilitate academic collaborations and interactions with opinion leaders that are aligned with company goals
- Lead strategic road mapping efforts by linking potential customer requirements with R&D and product development initiatives