The Sr. Instrument Design Engineer (Digital Hardware) will integrate digital electronics/embedded software with electromechanical systems, the basis of Cepheid’s next generation medical diagnostic instrument platforms, lab automation and production systems.
- Perform bench-level, hands-on integration of motorized control systems, firmware, and software subsystems into complete diagnostic instrumentation systems.
- Simulate, test, and implement advanced multi-axis robotic system control algorithms.
- Ensure that concept studies and feasibility work adequately address and resolve risks related to system performance.
- Drive redesigns that address the determined root-cause and collaborate/perform/lead with other Team members in the verification, validation and Change Order submission and implementation of the redesigns.
- Multi-task at a high level across diverse product platforms and systems.
- This position entails rigorous process discipline and documentation practices as well as excellent cross-functional communication skills to assure functionality, safety, reliability, and quality of the product.
- Master’s degree in Physics, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, or similar experimental discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience to perform at this level.
- A minimum 5 years of experience in instrumentation design and hands-on integration.
- Highly motivated engineer with a strong team-orientation to work effectively cross-functionally.
- Hands-on experience with FPGAs, DSPs, control systems & theory, z-transforms.
- Working knowledge of the following: Mechanical Design (SolidWorks preferred), Digital electronics, Analog electronics, Programming/scripting languages (e.g., C, Python, SQL).
- Demonstrated analytical/experimental problem-solving skills to understand hardware, software, and digital/analog electronics interactions to be able to quickly analyze and resolve system-level issues.
- Demonstrated rigorous process discipline and documentation practices to assure functionality, safety, reliability and quality of the product
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated technical writing skills.
- Statistics knowledge required.
- Experience with Matlab.
- Should demonstrate a strong interest in multi-disciplinary project work.