We are seeking to recruit a Bioinformatician/Software Engineer to join the Protein function development team at the EMBL-European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI) located on the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK. This team is responsible for major international protein sequence resources including the Universal Protein resource (UniProt).
The candidate will be part of the development team that maintains the databases, software and analysis pipelines for the production and release of the UniProt protein sequence databases. (S)he will be expected to gain a good understanding of the group projects and design, organize and develop the full lifecycle of our resources in close interaction with the team members at EBI as well as at the international teams involved in these projects. This is a central role in the production and development of services for crucial biological services for the scientific community.
The primary responsibilities include:
- Design, development and maintenance of new modules, enhancements and scripts in the pipeline for the database release cycle
- Organizing and running the production procedures on daily basis in synchronization with other staff members
- Assessment of new technologies and procedures for shaping the database production environment
- Development of pipelines for new data source imports
- Quality Assurance and consistency tests of database release procedures
- Coordination between all UniProt Consortium members involved in the database release cycle.
The EBI is a world-leading bioinformatics centre providing biological data to the scientific community, with expertise in data storage, analysis and representation. The Universal Protein Resource (UniProt) provides a central resource on protein information and a solid set of services and computational analysis of protein data. UniProt is produced by the UniProt Consortium – a collaboration between the EBI, the Protein Information Resource (PIR) and the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics (SIB).