Integrated DNA Technologies
Job Locations US - IA - Coralville
Category Research & Development
# of Openings 1
Posted Date 4/7/2017
Shift/Schedule M-F 40 Hour Week (United States of America)
Additonal Information ..
The Software Engineer III conducts and/or supports development of software tools for both internal and/ or external (e.g., customer) use. The software development will directly support basic science of nucleic acids and nucleic acid biochemistry and will assists with development and characterization of new IDT products. This position develops solutions and supports fellow Bioinformatics staff developing software for new products at IDT.
- Designs and manages the computing infrastructure, tools and methodology used by the Bioinformatics team.
- Coordinates with IDT Enterprise I.S. staff regarding computing infrastructure planning, purchases and configuration.
- Provides recommendations to Bioinformatics staff regarding architectural and development tool decisions.
- Troubleshoots issues related to open-source Linux services.
- Develops software tools required for execution of assigned work, with minimal oversight.
- Analyzes experimental data, report results and plan the next steps.
- Organizes and manages moderately complex projects.
- Utilizes and integrates existing software packages into IDT's suite of bioinformatics solutions.
- Maintains clean, documented code supported with appropriate unit and integration tests.
- Executes plans for coordinating the integration of software from multiple projects into a production-level suite of software tools.
- Interacts with and assists other members of the R&D team as needed to meet research objectives.
- Oversees activities and assists with training of more junior research personnel as directed.
- Presents experimental results, data analysis or software summaries at group meetings as directed.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with the Integrated DNA Technologies Core Values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree (in Engineering or other related field) with six or more years previous experience in bioinformatics, software engineering, or Linux administration required
- Master's degree (in Bioinformatics, Computer Science or a related life sciences field) with 4 or more years previous experience in bioinformatics, software engineering, molecular biology, genetics or other scientific discipline preferred
- Doctorate degree (in Bioinformatics, Computer Science or a related life sciences field) preferred
- Proficiency in a variety of PC software programs with strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office required.
- Proficiency in at least one listed language (Python, C++, JVM hosted languages) required.
- Proficiency in test-driven development techniques and other components essential to professional software development required.
- Proficiency in Linux systems for scientific/engineering disciplines preferred.
- Previous experience with HPC schedulers and distributed filesystems preferred.
- Broad knowledge of IDT products and product lines preferred.
- Proven track-record in automating IT processes via CI/CD jobs required.
- Experience with previous and current generation HPC tools required.
- Experience with cloud computing, in particular AWS required.
- Familiarity with best practices in software engineering workflows for small to medium size teams required.
- Proficiency in configuration management/ orchestration tools required.
- Proficiency with distributed version control tools required.
- Proficiency with containerized app preferred.
- Proficiency with Linux required
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to train others in basic software techniques and equipment operation.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask and maintain several projects at one time.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate with peers and all levels of management.
- Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another without loss of efficiency or composure.
- Ability to maintain both a high standard of courtesy and cooperation in dealing with co-workers.
- Ability to accept responsibility for the direction, control or planning of an activity.
- Adaptability to situations requiring the precise attainment of set limits, tolerances or standards.
- Ability to perform repetitive work or to perform continuously the same work, according to set procedures sequence or pace.
- Seldom travel (Up to 5% of time) required
Integrated DNA Technologies is an equal employment and affirmative action employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.