We are seeking to recruit an experienced Software Engineer to join the UniProt protein resources team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
UniProt is one of the most internationally used protein databases serving a large and diverse research community in genomics, proteins and proteomics. UniProt is an international Consortium, a collaboration between the EBI, the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics (SIB) and the Protein Information Resource (PIR).
You will manage and develop software supporting the automatic annotation pipelines for complete genomes in UniProt. You will be responsible for the design, development and maintenance of software for the Java data services providing protein annotations to the scientific community and computational biologists. The role involves close interaction with the UniProt international consortium and team members. You are expected to be innovative and work with the team in the extension of the current software components as well as to evaluate and promote new software methods, tools and programming models for a robust and interoperable programming framework.
The primary responsibilities include:
- Design, development and maintenance of software for the automatic annotation of large data sets
- Design, development and maintenance of software for the provision of data services, including the Java API for the scientific community
- Assist with programming standards to promote best practices
- Support the databases and develop and execute production release pipelines of the UniProt resources
- Assist with innovative programming technologies.