Software Developer/Engineer 2/3- Annotation and Analysis of Eukaryotic Genomes - 80671
The Department of Energy(DOE) Joint Genome Institute (JGI), a division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) has an exciting opportunity available for an experienced software developer/engineer. Will be responsible for development of software for annotation and analysis of eukaryotic genomes such as JGI annotation pipeline and web-based analysis tools. As a team member participate in developing and testing the JGI genome annotation pipeline, its modules and interfaces, and for support of the pipeline users who run the pipeline for production genome annotations. Must demonstrate detailed knowledge and strong technical ability in full lifecycle software development, database design and access, software design,development and deployment. Will interact will team members as well as technical, administrative, and scientific staff. Position reports to the Fungal Genomics Program Lead.
The selected candidate will be hired as at the 2 or 3 level depending on the candidate's level of skills and experience.
Specific Job Duties
• Work as part of the team that develops and supports JGI annotation pipeline and web-based tools for genome analysis.
• Design and develop software for the Fungal Program.
• Design effective solutions compatible with existing systems.
• Interface with end-users to gather feedback and requirements.
• Provide daily client support, including occasional evening and weekends.
• Observe and promote configuration management and deployment policies.
• Participate in formal and informal design and code reviews.
• Work with other pipeline developers, systems administrators, to optimize hardware and configuration for maximal pipeline performance and stability.
• Work on special projects as requested to help troubleshoot production problems, data management issues, working with collaborators or JGI staff, etc.
• Train new group members on use of annotation tools.
• Participate in group meetings, present work to group members.
Essential Duties for the Software Developer/Engineer 3 - In addition to the required duties for a level 2, the Software Developer/Engineer 3 will:
• Work at a higher level of independence and responsibilities in carrying out assignments.
• Work closely with Systems Administration group to optimize hardware and configuration for maximal portal performance and stability.
• Troubleshoot more complex systems and data analysis problems.