Software Developer 4 - Genomics OnLine Database - 80526
Under broad supervision, will gather feedback and requirements to develop systems that support the growing curation of metadata from multiple scientific programs across JGI and outside systems. Will work closely with the microbial and metagenomics programs and will lead the development of the Genomics OnLine Database (GOLD), including the integration of project and metadata information. Will implement QC rules and develop other tools to enable the sharing and exchange of metadata from JGI projects and develop interfaces for the JGI’s Integrated Tracking System (ITS). Will collaborate with various internal groups to support the full GSG compliance of any data and metadata submitted to bioproject, biosample, GenBank and SRA. In addition, will work on highly technical, complex problems including analysis, evaluation and implementation of controlled vocabularies for the description of metadata in coordination with the JGI’s integrating tracking system, the Genomics Standards Consortium and other ontologies. This position will be under the general supervision of, and will report to, the Prokaryotic super program head.
Specific Job Duties
• Lead the development of the Genomics OnLine Database (GOLD)including maintaining and developing the GOLD back and front end to facilitate the storage, display and editing of metadata of JGI projects.
• Gather feedback and requirements to develop and implement QC rules and apply patterns for automatic filling of metadata to minimize manual effort.
• Build scripts to parse and quality control(QC) final deliverable import Excel files.
• Overlook, share, exchange, import and sync the final deliverable excels to and from ITS.
• Build and develop web services to enable the continuing share and exchange of metadata between ITS, Genome Portal, NCBI, annotation pipelines and analysis systems.
• Create and be in charge of service tickets pertaining to metadata corrections in the ITS system.
• Extend and advocate the support of the full GSG compliance of any data and metadata submitted to bioproject, biosample, GenBank and SRA.
• Collaborate with various internal groups including Genome Portal, Project Management, Rolling QC and annotation/analysis groups to ensure smooth processing and flow of metadata from beginning to the end of a JGI project's lifecycle.
• Will serve as a technical lead and key contributor called upon to troubleshoot and solve highly technical, complex problems.
• Develop the Phytozome API and lead the migration of Phytozome’s back-end to Chado, an open source model organism database schema.
• Work closely with Systems Administration group to optimize hardware and configuration for maximal portal performance and stability.
• Attend standing project planning and review meetings as well as standing meetings with the other JGI Groups.
• Participate in presentations and discussions about the team's work.
• Participate in software release testing.