The group of Prof. Guillaume Bourque, Director of the Canadian Center for Computational Genomics (C3G) at McGill and Director of Bioinformatics at the McGill University and Génome Québec Innovation Center, seeks an experienced Software Developer. Under the direction of the Bioinformatics Manager, the candidate will participate in the planning, development, co-ordination, implementation and maintenance of information systems and analytical pipelines for next generation sequencing (ChIP-Seq, RNA-Seq, WGS, etc.), required for projects based at McGill’s C3G. This includes the integration of information systems strategy, policy and planning with all members of the projects, and the development and implementation of information system strategies that support the operating and analytical needs of the projects. It also includes instructional development and training of the implemented system and resources for members of the related projects.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the development and improvements of software pipelines for the processing of next generation sequencing data. Will be responsible for preparing test data for these developed pipelines, and troubleshooting all software before public release to users. Maintain and document all the pipelines and procedures to execute analyses.
- Lead the design and continual development of the systems to meet the constantly evolving needs of the projects, either through upgrading software packages within individual sequence analysis pipelines, or implementation of novel ones.
- Contribute to project planning and deliverables and provide project milestones. Participate on the communications plan to other developers and users of the platform.
- Ensure that pipelines operate efficiently within the locally installed network (abacus) at the Innovation Centre as well as the Compute Canada network, and that all incoming data and analysis output is properly stored and maintained with appropriate user access.
- Keep abreast of any new developments in parallel processing for the locally installed server cluster and the Compute Canada network, and software packages for increased efficiency/accuracy of analytical pipelines.
- Act as an advisor and primary contact person to support users who seek advice on how to access and execute these newly developed analysis pipelines in the system. When appropriate, inform supervisors and formulate recommendations.
- Provide IT support for user questions and problems.
- Troubleshoot systems problems as necessary to ensure operational integrity.
- Provide training and technical support services for all aspects related to the operation of the system.
- Develop training materials and documentation for the system and the analytical pipelines