Software Developer 3/4- Genome Portal - 80477
The Department of Energy (DOE) Joint Genome Institute (JGI), a division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) has an exciting opportunity available for an experienced Software Developer/Engineer. Under general supervision, will identify client needs and requirements to develop, implement, test, integrate and deploy new and/or existing software applications. Will provide technical expertise with relational databases including; database administration, database design, and performance tuning. Will work on problems of a diverse scope, exercise independent judgment and select appropriate methods and techniques for solving and recommending solutions. Must demonstrate detailed knowledge and strong technical ability in full lifecycle software development, database design and access, web user interface design, development and deployment. Will interact will team members as well as technical, administrative, and scientific staff. Position reports to the Genome Portal Group Work Lead.
Selected individual will be hired as a Software Developer 3 or Software Developer 4 based on the candidate’s level of skills and qualifications.
Specific Job Duties
• Design and develop software for the JGI’s Informatics Department.
• Design effective solutions compatible with existing systems.
• Interface with end-users to gather feedback and requirements.
• Participate in system architectural review and design.
• Provide daily client support, including occasional evening and weekends.
• Apply analytical skills and creativity to solve diverse problems.
• Work with scientific and administrative customers to define needs and priorities.
• Observe and promote configuration management and deployment policies.
• Participate in formal and informal design and code reviews.
• Represent the group's needs and interests in collaborative efforts with other groups and departments.
• Create documentation and training materials.
• Mentor and train other team members in areas of expertise
In addition to the above, the following are Software Developer 4 responsibilities.
• Contribute at a higher level of independence and responsibilities.
• Perform as a key contributor and troubleshoot and solve highly technical, complex problems.
• Advocate for data management best practices in the organization.