The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine Inc. (HJF) Seeking a Software Developer to support the Biological Defense Research Directorate (BDRD) Genomics Department at Naval Medical Research Center - Frederick. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to BDRD.
- Performs as part of a team and individually to write, test, and document code to support software development for sequence data analysis as well as to integrate `-omics' level data.
- Performs as part of a team to engineer the interface of the software as required.
- Performs as part of a team and individually some user support for software, including on site at domestic and international locations as well as remotely. Troubleshoots installation issues. Documents issues and applies software patches.
- Completes other projects as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be able to work alone and with others. Must be a team player.
- Must be a self-starter with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be well organized and able to handle a variety of tasks. Must be able to shift priorities flexibly.
- Must have excellent problem-solving skills, including field-expedient hardware improvisation.
- Must have experience with NGS and genomic sequencing pipelines. Experience in supercomputing and/or HPC environments is also highly desirable.
- 10% travel, some international.
- Mug be able to obtain a Secret clearance.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: MS or greater in Bioinformatics, Computer Science with biological experience, or Biology or Analytical Chemistry with computational experience. Scripting language proficiency in either Perl or Python as well as desirable languages such as C, C++, and Java. Several years of experience with RHEL or CentOS Linux is highly desirable. Candidates possessing a multidisciplinary skill set spanning computer science, biology, and/or analytical chemistry are encouraged to apply for this position.
Minimum Experience: 2 years
Physical Capabilities: *Must be able to lift 50 lbs unassisted, 125 lbs assisted (with reasonable accommodation).
Work Environment: office environment
U.S. CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.