Snr Product Development & Systems Integration Scientist
(Illumina DNA Sequencing Technologies)
Chesterford Research Park, Cambridgeshire, UK Full Time / Permanent
Competitive remuneration package which includes annual bonus scheme, 10% pension, membership to the company share purchase scheme, gym membership and more!
Do you have a broad scientific/technical background and are looking to leverage this into product development?
Are you enthused by the prospect of genomics, it’s applications, and the technology that underpins it?
Are you looking for an opportunity to work with the world leader in NGS technology?
The Systems Integration Group work at the heart of Illumina’s innovative product development process. The group is highly multi-disciplinary and are made up of people that thrive on troubleshooting and testing prototype hardware to really understand how far technology can be pushed.
As a Snr Integration Scientist at Illumina you will work in a dynamic, multi-disciplinary environment taking ownership of key projects and managing the resources, including people, that assigned to it. You will participate in the development of high quality, robust products through the integration of hardware, software and chemistry components, build robust test plans and optimize systems product performance. This position will require working as a part of multidisciplinary team developing state-of- the-art technology, with some line management of junior members.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
- Hands-on testing and integration of DNA sequencing systems - hardware, firmware, software, chemistry/reagents and application components.
- Working as a project leader to troubleshoot and diagnose faults in instrumentation ranging from fluidic to computer hardware issues and optics
- Manage junior (graduate and PhD) level team members.
- Execute test plans to validate product performance
- Contribute to the ongoing development of Illumina's DNA sequencing systems, testing of new equipment and reagents.
- Data analysis, interpretation and presentation of results to senior members of the technical leadership team
- Travel to our San Diego HQ throughout the year (~4-5 visits) would be expected.
Education and Experience:
- PhD in a scientific discipline (e.g. Physics, Chemistry, Biophysics, Engineering) is required
- Experience in the fields of sequencing, fluorescence microscopy, microfluidics (including electrowetting) is desirable.
- A successful candidate will be a self-starter and able to work independently on projects and strive to meet tight deadlines.
- Experience writing and executing test plans to validate systems based product performance and robustness is essential.
- A broad scientific knowledge (instrumentation, optics, chemistry, molecular biology, software etc). Successful candidate must be able to demonstrate multidisciplinary approach to problem solving and be hands-on.
- Must be detail oriented and highly motivated to be a part of a fast paced, multidisciplinary and dynamic environment.
- Solid collaboration, communication and writing skills required
This role would suit a candidate who has a background working across a number of technologies and disciplines, as opposed to specialist knowledge, and who enjoys the varied and multi-disciplinary nature that Illumina can offer.
Illumina offer an industry leading remuneration package, state of the art facilities and an innovative, fast-moving working environment.