As a member of our Service & Applications Engineering team, this Engineer is responsible for service and applications support of complex robotic workstations, qPCR instruments, as well as other laboratory equipment. He or she will conduct preventative maintenance and troubleshoot instrument problems by performing root cause analysis, implementing and documenting appropriate corrective actions, while maintaining instruments to peak performance for Genomic Health's various laboratory environments. These environments include the Clinical Laboratory where our industry-leading Oncotype DX® clinical diagnostic assays are run, the R&D laboratories where new product concepts are developed, and our Manufacturing and QC laboratories, which provide high-quality reagents for use in the other lab functions within Genomic Health.
The successful candidate will have hands-on experience with liquid handling robotics and an in-depth understanding of current laboratory instruments used for nucleic acid isolation, quantification, and downstream analysis using quantitative RT-PCR. Activities will include responding to instrument related errors, performing root cause analysis to identify the problem, and implementing an appropriate corrective action to repair the instrument in a time critical customer service oriented manner. He or she will be expected to develop a working knowledge of all Genomic Health laboratory processes and associated systems such as our Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS).
This Service Engineer II will participate in cross functional teams working in a variety of areas. These efforts will require excellent communication and collaboration with colleagues in Process Engineering, Assay Chemistry, our Clinical and Development Laboratories, Program Management, Research, Analytical Sciences, Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, and other groups.
The ideal candidate will be working cooperatively in a dynamic and interdisciplinary laboratory environment, adapting quickly to change and new technical challenges while providing strong technical leadership. This is an excellent opportunity for a team player to participate in the growth of a fast-paced, pioneering company that is developing systematic approaches to applying genomic technology to health, disease, and medical practice.
- Provide Service and Applications support to multiple laboratories at Genomic Health
- Maintain, calibrate, and perform equipment Preventative Maintenance as necessary
- Troubleshoot, diagnose and resolve hardware, software, and chemistry issues of robotic workstations, qPCR instruments, and other laboratory equipment
- Participate in 24/7 week-long on-call rotation with other team members
- May train members of the Service Engineering team on processes in areas of expertise to enhance and contribute group development and cross-training
- Coordinate and/or perform instrument installations and qualifications
- Write or revise detailed Standard Operating Procedures for processes performed by the Service Engineering Group
- Assist with transferring and testing of new robotic processes
- Represent the Service Engineering group on cross functional teams
- Participate in the development of in-house qualification procedures and other supporting documentation
- Maintain positive customer and service oriented interactions with customers and colleagues
- Perform daily work and projects with limited or general instructions, according to Standard Operating Procedures
- Role is Individual Contributor
- Other duties as assigned