The New York Genome Center is looking for a highly motivated, independent but team-oriented software engineer to support the expanding Informatics division in developing high-throughput pipelines and large-scale data management systems. Our Software Engineers develop cutting edge tools to drive the services at NYGC. This team works closely with bioinformatics, sequencing lab, scientists, program management, and more to develop scientific applications for high-volume data processing, analysis and management.
The ideal candidate will be a pragmatic, full-stack engineer with experience developing and supporting production-quality software for scientific applications, including analysis pipelines, user interfaces and data repositories. Knowledge of big data environments is useful, as is experience in scientific environments. Knowledge of genomics is not required.
Essential duties and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Collaborate with bio-informatics scientists, business and program managers, clinical researchers and other stakeholders to gather requirements for data processing pipelines, analysis tools, user interfaces, and data repositories.
- Generate development plans including milestones with feature sets.
- Prototype, develop, test, deploy, document, and support production-quality software.
- Assist with development of other parts of the project as requirements dictate.
- Build and manage secure interfaces and access to private data.
- Participate in support of NYGC software and systems outside of primary assignment.
- Be interested in and willing to learn about genomics and the infrastructure requirements for supporting genomic sciences.