At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a Senior Scientist in in-vivo pharmacology in Waltham, MA you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives. IMED (Innovative Medicines and Early Development) focuses on scientific advances in small molecules, oligonucleotides and other emerging technologies and drug discovery platforms across our focus areas. Discovery Sciences is a multi-faceted department which drives early drug discovery across the global Innovative Medicines portfolio (small molecule and biologics).
AstraZeneca's vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through four key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies
Main Duties and Responsibilities
As a Senior Scientist on the In Vivo Oncology team at AstraZeneca, you will independently design and execute in vivo studies to advance drug candidates in the oncology portfolio. This will include developing and characterizing mouse models of cancer, design and delivery of in vivo PK/PD screening cascades to support lead optimization, and in vivo efficacy studies to support dose and schedule optimization and hypothesis driven combinations. You will also serve as the in vivo preclinical pharmacology lead on cross-functional project teams.
* PhD in Pharmacology or related discipline, with 2+ years of industry experience.
* Scientific knowledge of oncology drug discovery including emerging concepts in cancer therapeutics.
* Strong scientific track record of delivery, including publications in peer-reviewed journals.
* Direct experience using mouse models of cancer to evaluate the in vivo pharmacology of small molecule drugs targeting cancer. Familiarity with advanced models of cancer including primary patient models an advantage.
* Experience and strong working knowledge of in vivo pharmacology techniques required, including preparation of test compounds, handling and dosing mice, and collection of blood and tissues for PK and PD biomarker analysis.
* Experience with sterile tissue culture, and with basic molecular and cellular biology techniques.
* Strong communication skills.
* Cancer immunology background and/or experience with preclinical development of immuno-oncology therapeutics.
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.