- Proactively monitors and replenishes existing biomaterial inventories
- Coordinates biomaterial group activities with Manufacturing Support and BioProduction to support the objectives of the ATCC, if applicable
- Characterizes, authenticates and preserves newly accessioned biomaterial items
- Maintains and supports ATCC’s world-class reputation
- Develops processes and procedures to ensure efficient, cost-effective processing of a high-quality biomaterial and reagents
- With supervisor, monitors and adheres to the Collection budget
Research & Development
- Develops new and/or improved authentication and validation methods
- Develops new biomaterial groups and systems, as applicable, consistent with the objectives of the ATCC
- Responsible for providing leadership and managing a specified biomaterial group and/or R&D team. Management of the collection includes characterization, authentication, preservation, maintenance and distribution of cell lines, microorganisms, or reagents procured by the incumbent or other individuals within the ATCC.
- Designs, builds and directs internal and external research activities and collaborations, as applicable
- Interacts with other corporate programs to foster a productive research environment
Supervisory Responsibilities, if applicable
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws
- Has authority either directly or through recommendations for employment decisions to include selection, training, performance evaluation, counseling, promotion and termination
- Participates in or conducts regular staff meetings to communicate pertinent corporate and program information
- Fosters a positive work environment
- Leads by example
- Ensures staff complies with all safety requirements
Scientific, Customer and other external interactions
- Provides scientific expertise to internal and external customers as applicable
- Manages interactions with depositors and advisors as needed/assigned
- Manages research collaborations with internal and external groups
- Participates in professional activities both internal and external to ATCC
- Maintains memberships in appropriate scientific societies
- Submits data for publication and/or patent protection when applicable
- Keeps abreast of current, relevant literature and technologies
- May serve as a Principal Investigator on a grant/contract application or administration
- Demonstrates strategic view of assignments relating to growth of area/collection, use of resources and appropriate staffing.
- Demonstrates knowledge in resource planning and project management.
- Provides input into the development of the annual budget.
- Provides ideas in scientific area that meets or enhances ATCC mission and/or goals.
- May be responsible for a highly specialized scientific function or several related scientific projects.
Performs other ancillary duties as assigned