Seeking a highly-motivated and experienced research scientist to join the Protein Sciences group at our corporate headquarters located in the Chicago area. The candidate will be working in a highly dynamic group to provide protein biochemistry support for a newly formed team focused on the therapeutic potential of the ubiquitin proteasome system (UPS). This individual will function as a core-team member of the newly formed inter-disciplinary team, and contribute significant scientific advances to meet project goals. The applicant should be highly skilled in recombinant protein engineering and purification. He/she should have extensive experience working with multi-subunit complexes and working with different expression systems and have a solid understanding of structural biology, protein sciences, biophysics and enzymology. Experience of working with E3 ligases family proteins is highly beneficial. Hands-on experience in molecular biology, protein expression, and other protein characterization techniques will be a strong plus.
• Express and purify proteins to support assay development, HTS screen, biophysical assays and crystallization.
• Critically QC protein reagents for different applications.
• Closely work with project biology group to understand project needs and design proper experiments
• Read literature to provide clone design ideas and other protein biochemistry suggestions
• Evaluate scientific literature critically and adopt novel technologies to facilitate research
• Work independently on the design, execution, and interpretation of experimental results
• Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in Biochemistry, Biophysics or related field
• 0+ (Ph.D), 8+ (MS) or 10+ (BS) years of relevant academic and/or pharmaceutical industry
• Experience with Ubiquitin Proteasome system essential
• Extensive experiences in the area of making recombinant proteins for assay development, biophysical studies and structural studies.
• Good problem-solving skills, capable of finding innovative ways to overcome issues (i.e. solubility, purity, heterogeneity, yield) with challenging proteins.
• Fermentation and molecular biology experience will be a strong plus.
• Strong communication skills and the ability to contribute in a multidisciplinary environment are essential.
• Good record keeping and the ability to manage several projects simultaneously in a dynamic environment.
• 3+ years of academic or industry experience
Key Leadership Competencies:
• Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
• Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
• Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
• Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
• Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.