Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
Celgene Quanticel Research, a subsidiary of Celgene, is seeking an experienced and innovative Cell Biologist for a senior scientist position with responsibility for developing and utilizing in vitro cellular assays relevant to disease biology.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Apply biology and cellular pharmacology knowledge and skills to design and execute in vitro experiments involving evaluation of small molecule inhibitors
2. Maintain 2D and 3D organoid type cell models for regular compound screening
3. Conduct phenotypic and image based assays utilizing Cytation 5 instrument
4. Perform pharmacodynamic analysis of tumor samples from in vivo experiments
5. Maintain an in-depth knowledge on project-related scientific literature
Competence in laboratory techniques such as cell culture, cell-based assay development, AlphaLisa, ELISA, Western blot, IHC, immunofluorescence, FACS and qPCR
Ability to identify, evaluate, and propose new drug discovery assays
Experience in tumor-initiating cell / cancer-stem cell biology and epigenetics is not required, but desirable
Experience in areas of immuno-oncology and inflammation is not required, but desirable
Experience in the use of si/shRNA reagents and/or CRIPSR/Cas9 technology is not required, but desirable
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Strong collaborative team spirit, self-motivated and track record of innovation
• Contributing to research program and business.
• Subject matter leader.
• Broad knowledge of multiple functional technologies.
• In-depth understanding of function as it relates to project.
• Leads by example in lab.
• Functional area expert with skills, theoretical knowledge and experience to apply scientific direction and approach to projects and problems.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Completes technical assignments by designing, executing and interpreting complex experiments.
• Recommends department level strategic decisions.
• May lead scientifically on cross functional assignments.
• Manages and/or coordinates workflow on projects.
• Apply diverse scientific knowledge to assignments.
• Development of research tools.
• Interpret results.
• Helps design research strategies consistent with department goals.
• Provides input and makes recommendations to research strategies.
Creativity and Problem Solving:
• Identify & solve multi-faceted challenges.
• Recognizes problems and is able to recommend and develop appropriate solutions from prior experience, literature, or collaboration.
• Identify risks.
• Contributes ideas and develops/presents a scientific case (or position) inside and outside department/group.
Teamwork and Influence:
• Communicates with cross functional team.
• Directly impacts the achievement of workgroup/team goals.
• Represents workgroup/team or department on multi-disciplinary or cross functional teams.
• Work across departments.
• Direct impact on departmental performance.
• Impact is achieved by driving team efforts.
• Able to conceptualize broad impact of research programs and personal activities in terms of site.
• Champions change
• Leads courageously
• Provides directions
• Structuring and staffing
• Thinks strategically
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.
Req ID: 15002078
Primary Location: United States-California-San Francisco
Employee Status: Individual Contributor
Job Type: Full-time
Job Level: Day Job
Job Posting: 2015-11-18 00:00:00.0
Biology, Biotech, Cell Biology, Cytology, Engineering, Healthcare, Laboratory, Medical, Medical Lab, Oncology, Pharmaceutical, Pharmacology, Research, Research Scientist, Science, Scientific, Scientist, Senior Scientist, Technology, Telecom, Telecommunications