The Process Development Group provides support through the development and optimization of production processes. We work with our Strain Development team and manufacturing colleagues. We are seeking a Fermentation Scientist to join our Process Development team. Responsibilities include all aspects related to development of a robust and scalable process and subsequent technical transfer of the process to pilot scale. Candidate will participate in a range of specific activities including, but not limited to: (1) defining unit operations, (2) media screening and development, (3) fermentation process development and scale-up, (4) authoring technical reports, (5) training of junior staff. The successful candidate will also provide technical and scientific leadership and subject matter expertise, both in research and development, as well as in manufacturing and life cycle management. The individual is expected to provide technical leadership to various functional and strategic teams engaged in product/process development. The successful candidate will guide and mentor the process development associates, typically focusing on 1-2 programs at a time, while coordinating the overall program activities across much larger multi-functional and cross-divisional teams.
• This position will have the responsibility to design and execute experiments independently or with minimal supervision or guidance
• Plan, design and execute complete projects; providing imaginative and thorough solutions to a wide range of difficult assignments.
• Maintain a level of scientific knowledge in assigned area; perform scientific literature searches and evaluations as required and understand/comply with accepted laboratory and safety procedures.
• Work closely with internal and external departments to ensure the efficient progress of projects.
• Lead an innovative team, design project experiments and give overall direction.
• Troubleshoot equipment and processes.
• Prepare SOPs and other technical documentation.
• Scale-up and scale-down processes
• This position will have responsibility for a complete process and would be expected to use the knowledge and skills to mentor / advise more junior team members.
• Master’s Degree in biochemical engineering, chemical engineering, microbiology, or biotechnology with a minimum of 10 years of experience in biotechnology industry; a PhD in biochemical engineering, chemical engineering, microbiology, or biotechnology with a minimum of 5 years of experience in biotechnology industry.
• Strong background in microbial fermentation and downstream purification.
• Demonstrated excellence in fermentation process development including a variety of control strategies.
• Experience with diverse microorganisms preferred.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
• Strong experience in working with a team in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
• Demonstrated supervisory experience.
• Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office.