Illumina is improving human health by unlocking the power of the genome. Our focus on innovation has established us as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies, serving customers in the research, clinical and applied markets. Our products are used for applications in the life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging segments.
We are looking for a talented scientist with industry experience in Chemistry, Nanotechnology or Materials Science to contribute to a team within Consumables Development. Industry experience could include polymers, coatings, industrial/process scale materials applications, wafer-scale technology, materials engineering for biomolecule separation/isolation techniques, drug delivery, or thin films. Experience working with advanced metrology and surface characterization techniques is also a plus. Ideally, the experienced candidate will have brought products to commercialization.
As a successful candidate you will work in a dynamic, team-oriented environment to create genomic analysis consumable devices that enable leading-edge medical research. You will be a key contributor within integrated and multidisciplinary teams developing new, and improving existing nucleic acid sequencing and sample preparation technology platforms.
- Develop new and existing material systems, processes and methods to pattern, coat and functionalize wafer substrates
- Perform in-depth analyses using techniques such as ellipsometry, DSC, TGA, FTIR, Raman, SEM, XPS, TOF-SIMS, AFM, high resolution spectroscopy and microscopy to characterize dimensions and the interface between Illumina’s surface chemistry and substrate materials
- Explore adhesives and other methods for bonding functionalized materials
- Perform and lead failure analysis
- Teach methods developed to other scientists, engineers, research associates, of a range of experience and education levels
- Work collaboratively with surface and polymer chemists, biochemists and bioinformaticians, developing new components for DNA analysis platforms
- Present clear and concise written and oral communications to colleagues and supervisors, lead and/or participate in technical meetings, and provide recommendations based on technical results