As scientific leader of the Company’s Bioinformatics and Software Development team, the Senior Scientist, Bioinformatics & Computational Biology will be responsible for the design and implementation of cloud-computing driven analytical approaches and workflows for the Company’s high dimensional genomic assays. This includes end-to-end raw data to clinical reporting software systems. The Company’s clinical genomics assays may include targeted sequencing tissue and blood based circulating tumour DNA assays, fusion assays, capture based assays, blood-based panel assays, whole genome assays and other market driven clinical assays.
The Senior Scientist, Bioinformatics & Computational Biology will work closely with the Company’s Assay Development team in design, development and transfer of the Company’s cancer genomic assays to partners.
- Oversees bioinformatics and computational biology analytical strategy research and development utilizing established and innovative procedures in NGS based genomics.
- Works closely with the Assay Development team in the design and execution of experiments for clinical assay development.
- Maintains knowledge of published developments in the genomics field and proactively seeks out and incorporates leading edge science, medical developments and technologies into Company assays.
- Applies expert knowledge to formal computational research and software development.
- Creates and manages project plans, timelines and budgets.
- Coordinates interdisciplinary resources in collaboration with Management, the Assay Development team and other Company personnel.
- Develops and delivers on research, assay development and technology transfer goals and objectives.
- Works closely with Management and other Company teams to translate market and customer requirements into commercial assays.
- Participates as an active member of various project teams and collaborates with internal and external team members to reach scientific and assay development goals.
- Presents scientific and assay development results in a variety of settings, both formal and informal, and both within and outside of the Company.
- Applies advanced technical writing skills to produce reports, documents, presentations and scientific papers.
- Contributes to the Company’s patent portfolio and the scientific literature.
- Engages and liaises with key opinion leaders in the genomics space.
- Assists in the identification and management of academic partners and/or contract research organizations to work with the Company.
- Assists in the technology transfer to and management of product partnerships.
- Plans and manages the Bioinformatics and Software Development budget.
- Fosters a spirit of cooperation, teamwork and motivation within the Bioinformatics and Software Development department.
- Trains and mentors junior bioinformaticians and software engineers and developers.
- Other duties and responsibilities as required.