Requisition ID 33452BR
Title Senior Research Scientist, Obesity (In Vivo Pharmacology)
Job Category Research & Development
Job Description PURPOSE:
Provides scientific leadership through technical support to the target discovery program and supervises as well as leads their research team/group. An established scientific professional in CNS and peripheral regulation of food intake, body weight, and body composition in animal models; central and humoral control of metabolism; pharmacological evaluation of food intake, body composition and metabolism.
Reports to a member of the Obesity Research Unit leadership team. Internal relationships include supervising research employees, leading project teams, working with project managers, as well as colleagues in Diabetes & Obesity Research in, Novo Nordisk Inc., Novo Nordisk A/S, and Novo Nordisk Beijing. External relationships include relevant parts of the obesity research community, including key opinion leaders. May serve as a company spokesperson for advanced programs or initiatives. Builds strong collaborations between internal and external stakeholders.
• As an established scientific expert with global recognition in their scientific area, will use this background to design experiments, draft scientific reports and prepare presentations.
• Ensures scientific representation at external scientific meetings and conferences.
• Leads research projects and programs through high functioning and delivery oriented teams.
• Accurately interprets experimental data and formulates conclusions and communicates data externally.
• Maintains scientific awareness and expertise through literature and attendance at relevant conferences.
• Influences site and global business strategy through technical awareness, scientific strategic leadership, and by ensuring state-of-the-art competency within expertise area.
• Implements what broadly needs to be accomplished or built in order to meet the implicit and explicit needs of internal and external stakeholders.
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS: EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• A Ph.D. with a minimum of 6 years post-doctoral experience or equivalent
• Extensive knowledge of subject area; e.g. CNS and peripheral control of food intake, metabolism, and body composition in animal models, and/or experimental techniques such as: body composition assessment, energy expenditure/metabolic assessments, automated measurement of food consumption, surgical techniques, behavioral analysis, and general knowledge of relevant in vivo rodent studies and assays.
• Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in developing methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
• Ability to influence, communicate and collaborate across a global organization
• Demonstrates expertise in scientific field and ability to apply skills to contribute to organization strategy
• Demonstrates strong understanding of complex scientific procedures with technical proficiency
• Excellent written and oral communication skills required
• Experience managing and training technicians
• Experienced/willingness to perform necropsy and tissue processing from several species, including rodent and nonhuman primate
• Approximately 10% overnight travel
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Additionally, this job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions. It does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Department NNRC - IN VIVO PHARMACOLOGY AND SAFETY
Position Location US - Seattle, WA
State/Provinces US - WA
Novo Nordisk is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. If you are interested in applying for employment with Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please call the U.S. Toll Free number at 1-855-411-5290 or email NNIDisabilityAccommo@novonordisk.com with your request. Please note we do not accept applications for employment or employment related solicitations through this email address. If you are requesting special assistance, please specify your request in the body of your email. We will not be able to respond to requests unless you specify the need for special assistance or an accommodation in your message. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.
Diabetes, Engineering, Healthcare, Medical, Pharmaceutical, Pharmacology, R&D, Research, Research Scientist, Science, Scientific, Scientist, Senior Scientist, Special Medicine, Technical Support, Technology