Senior Research Associate (Synthetic Biology/Fermentation Engineering) - 80034
The Department of Energy (DOE) Joint Genome Institute in Walnut Creek, CA (a division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab) is searching for an experienced Research Associate. Under general supervision, you will serve as part of a research group responsible for understanding the functional genomics of microbial and plant metabolism to help enable the development of biofuels, understand carbon cycling and the impacts of climate change. This position will play an important role in production of natural products using engineered microbes to support the JGI through collaborative projects. This includes optimization, standardization and performance of workflows from instrument setup and maintenance, fermentation, sample preparation, and data analysis. This position directly reports to the Synthetic Biology/Pathway Engineering group lead.
• Perform laboratory scale fermentation for optimal production of desired compounds using genetically engineered bacterial and yeast strains.
• Setup and maintain fermentation equipment (tube/flask – 10L scale).
• Prepare media and other experimentally relevant solutions.
• Perform fermentation for production of desired compounds.
• Develop optimal fermentation conditions for production of desired compounds.
• Sampling, extraction, and sample analyses (dry cell weight, cell viability, plasmid stability, fermentation products and by-products).
• Operate effectively in a laboratory environment through a basic knowledge of microbiological. (including the ability to operate with good sterile technique) and biochemical laboratory principles.